Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127091 06/25/06 10:09 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's Sunday evening and the last of the planned events for the WACKO gathering and the Portsmouth Regional are history.

My report is that it has been a great weekend, some weather interference, but not too bad to keep lighthouse enthusiasts from seeing what they set out to see.

Saturday evening, the regional dinner went great, Bill and Nancy were there, of course, signing lots of pieces. Carolyn McBee won the gold Admiralty Head - much to everyone's delight.

Tony Constantino did a great job outlining goals for Harbour Lights, promising fewer limited editions each year, smaller edition sizes and prices to stay in the right range.

We previewed a new "Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights" book coming this Fall. It's a guide to the 700+ lighthouses, lightships, lenses and lifesaving stations made by Harbour Lights since 1991. Features all new product photography by Paul Brady.

Expect it to be available this Fall.

Dave's arrangements for Friday evening, Saturday and today went great.

Got to see old friends and meet some new ones.

We'll let everyone join in and tell about their best experiences here. Paul's ready to post more pictures upon his return to Indiana.

We got to climb Old and New Cape Henry and Old Point Comfort today in perfect weather.

The Sunday tour for Bus 2 ended at the ATON school with a chance to view their great collection of Fresnels.

Re: Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127092 06/26/06 10:28 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
At the dinner one of our single digit ELL's was auction for $625.00 cool

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127093 06/27/06 01:18 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
From Tony Constantino:

Quote:
The Harbour Lights spirit and tradition is alive and well and living in West Kennebunk!

This is my opportunity to say "THANK YOU!" to each one of you! My maiden voyage out into the world of the Harbour Lights Collector was a BLAST! The experience exhilarating!

I also want to take this opportunity to thank Dave Hannum for planning a wonderful weekend! As I explained to my colleagues, this morning, we ate well, slept well and had fun! Dave's energy and hard work paid big dividends - Tidewater 2006 was a success!

The problem with any thank you is you always seem to forget someone, so I apologize in advance. I want to thank Rip , Sharon, Carolyn, Bob, Jim, our excellent photographer Paul Brady and his wife Sue, to Jacque and Larry Cater for their extra effort in making the weekend so pleasurable and working so hard.

A special thank you to John Chidester , our historian, for his facts and humor!

To Bill and Nancy Younger, thank you, your genuine passion is WOW! Thank you for sharing yourselves with us and making our Regional Event extra special!

As I said in my talk Saturday evening, I consider my job a privilege and with privilege comes responsibility. The new Harbour Lights Team accepts this responsibility!

Respectfully, A. J. Constantino
Director of Sales and Marketing

PS When you come to Portland the "Slurpees" are on me!

Re: Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127094 06/27/06 07:23 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
We were only able to see Wolf Trap on our Friday cruise. Don't want to make myself sick again retelling the horrendous thunder storm we tried to ride out--suffice to say we didn't get to New Point Comfort and planned to start there on our trek back to CT on Sunday.

Saturday's cruise was fun in spite of my feeling like a dishrag which I blamed on Friday's storm. After we docked I became chilled during the walk from the dock to the hotel. I was so cold by the time we got into our room that heading for bed and warm covers was all I wanted for the rest of that day--teeth chattered so hard that I broke a veneer off one of my lower incisors!

Room service provided dinner which I picked at and went back to sleep. Hot sweats and chills were the only items on my menu for the night. We got stuck in a traffic snarl on the way to New Point Comfort and I said "Uncle" and let's go home, so dearly beloved and my new friend, GARMIN, brought us back to Kent about 10 PM Sunday. The other 30 lights I hoped to get photographs of will have to wait 'til another time.

Trip to doctor yesterday and a probable diagnosis of Lyme Disease or a tick-borne disease that I can't spell--sounds like erlicliosis. Blood tests not in yet, but he's prescribed something that works to get rid of either one.

Tickled to have met as many of you as I did--nice knowing what everyone I chat with here looks like.

Regards from a very wishy-washy Sandy frown frown

Re: Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127095 06/27/06 10:22 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Bummer, Sandy...

...I wondered where you disappeared to. But take care and mind the Doctor.

Re: Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127096 06/27/06 11:59 PM
Gebby Offline
Sandy,

I'd say I felt like we were on the SS Minnow Friday afternoon also. That was one heck of a 3-hour tour.

Ken

Re: Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127097 06/28/06 01:02 AM
beachcomber Offline
So sorry to hear that the trip did not work out for you, Sandy. Do take care and keep us posted on your progress. It was great to see you for part of the time, anyway.

Tidewater was terrific fun - aside from the fact that I nearly puked on Dave on the Saturday boat trip, had to hitch a ride to catch the ferry leaving Ocracoke and was accused of stealing daylillies from Old Point Comfort! BTW, for those of you who had concerns that the lillies would make it to Texas, they have found a nice little area all their own in one of my flowerbeds.

There were a lot of great moments all around. It was good putting more faces together with the names on the forums and seeing many old friends. From the minute I arrived at the airport, I started making connections with forums folks. Bob O. and I had agreed to meet at the airport - poor Bob had a bit of a longer wait than anticipated since my flight was late.

The Friday OBX trip was fantastic! Three vehicles made the trip. Scott McClure, Judy Castleberry and I rode together and had a blast - lots of laughs from beginning to end. The day was glorious - plenty of sun (and heat and humidity). Judy had arranged for a pre-opening time tour at Currituck so it was pretty cool being able to go right in. We had a lovely picnic (also arranged by Judy) at beautiful Bodie and had no wait time to climb Hatteras (the old knees actually held up so I made it to the top). Our luck continued when we arrived at Ocracoke (not normally open). A special tour was just coming out, so the NPS person let us go in before she locked up the light. The wonderful culmination came at dusk when we returned to Bodie to see the beautiful lens in action. It was a special time, one of those moments when you wish you could sit quietly to meditate and contemplate a truly unique setting.

Tidewater was absolutely super! Dave did his usual phenomenal job from beginning to end. Two highlights for me were the Saturday dinner - one of the few times when we were all together and could visit with a few folks - and Old Point Comfort. It was such a pleasure visiting with Lt.Col.Rick Cobb and his wife Lisa and to see their kids and dog Scout truly enjoying their life there.

The forums will seem very different now, since I will actually be able to visualize many more faces than before Tidewater.

Of special note - the book which John and Paul have put together. It is beautifully done, with all the H.L. information you could possibly need coupled with Paul's superb pictures. Thanks, guys! I am looking forward to my autographed copy!

Thanks, Dave, for a fabulous time! And, Judy, I am looking forward to many more adventures!

beachcomber
Re: Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127098 06/28/06 02:08 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks for the good wishes people. Forgot to bestow the praises due both Fran for the Friday Wolf Trap/New Point Comfort cruise and Dave for the Saturday excursion and everything that we missed. I'm impressed by very little, but people with organizational skills impress me immensely. Kudos to both of you for pulling those trips together for us to enjoy.

Where are we going next??

Sandy

Re: Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127099 06/28/06 02:13 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Portland 2006!!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Tidewater 2006 Wrapup #127100 06/29/06 01:07 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
How about Seattle. I'm headed to Portland next week. wink

Sean

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,389 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users