Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The smell of Harbour Lights #12779 09/18/99 01:36 AM
B
Bob Steinbrunn Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm sure many of you have noticed this when you first unwrapped your latest acquisition from Harbour Lights.

Ahhhh, the aromatic smell of resin, mixed with hardeners and with overtones of porcelain powder and paint.

It's evocative of stepping onboard a wooden sailing ship. The aroma of Stockholm tar, pitch pine, manilla rigging, paint, slush for the masts, and what-have-you.

It seems part of the collector's experience to anticipate the ticklish vapors of styrofoam packaging and the lush, rich aroma (you can also read $$$) of the latest lighthouse piece in your cabinet.

I think it ties in with that quintessential "new car smell" we all love and would like to remain in our vehicles regardless of their age.

My local HL dealer takes a more clinical approach to this. He says that the smell is terminal, highly contagious, and can only be alleviated by rubbing the ink found on dollar bills across one's fingertips prior to passing said bill onward to the dealer.

My wife is a surgeon and has her doubts concerning this medical hypothesis.

Anyone out there with medical training who might have a second opinion?

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12780 09/18/99 11:45 AM
C
cyberkeeper Offline
C
I'll be heading down to my local dealer in a few hours for my lastest piece...and yes I'll be waiting for that new piece smell that we all know and love.

cyberkeeper

Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12781 09/18/99 12:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Bob, is there any relationship between your hypothesis and the burning heat coming from my wallet when ever I get near a Harbour Lights display ?

Mark

Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12782 09/18/99 01:36 PM
JeffB Offline
If they prove the smell of a new lighthouse to be addictive, will we then need our Doctors to write prescriptions for them? And on the bright side of that, would that then mean my insurance will pay for them, and I only need to make a $10 co-pay for a 3 month supply? The mind reels!

Jeff
Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12783 09/18/99 02:52 PM
B
OP Offline
B
JeffB writes:

"On the bright side of that...."

GOOD ONE, Jeff! It takes a curious twist of mind to work a lighthouse pun into a reply!

You set a shining example for the rest of us.....:-)

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12784 09/18/99 02:57 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You guys make it sound so much more interesting. When I open my new Harbour Lights, my wife just says that they stink. LOL

-Todd

Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12785 09/18/99 03:30 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Mark Wagner writes:

"Hey Bob, is there any relationship between your hypothesis and the burning heat coming from my wallet when ever I get near a Harbour Lights display?"

Mark:

I ran this by my wife for her considered medical opinion and she says no.

Consulting her Physician's Desk Reference, she says that, clearly, you have an advanced case of Infectious Lightititus.

Apparently this condition is not operative and the only known cure is to simply give in to the disease and not try to fight it.

In certain cases the disease runs its course, but more often than not it lingers on for years, maintaining a high degree of infection potential to others and risk to your financial picture....:-)

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

[This message has been edited by Bob Steinbrunn (edited 09-18-99).]

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12786 09/18/99 06:28 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
"Infectious Lightititus"

I knew that my affliction had a name. I like it a lot better than my other medical "ititus'". Although it does cost me a lot more and has no cure.

Joanne

Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12787 09/18/99 07:45 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Ah yes, the sweet smell of formaldehyde!!

Digger

Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12788 09/19/99 01:20 PM
B
Bob Cappuccio Offline
B
I put it right up there with the smell of new flowers in the spring..fresh chocolate smell from the local fudgery..the scent of a storm coming....I have three new HL pieces on there way from my autoship dealer...I may overdose..

Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12789 09/19/99 01:30 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hey, Bob!

I used to live in your hometown (Hatfield, PA) on Orvilla Road, and I don't remember it smelling anything like what you described!
(Just kidding)

Actually, Bob lives in a small town NW of Philadelphia in lush Montgomery County, adjacent to historic Bucks County, where the closest thing to a lighthouse is the stone lookout tower perched on a hill in Washington's Crossing State Park across the Delaware River from Trenton, NJ.

Where do you go for your HL pieces?

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12790 09/25/99 02:21 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I am a pharmacist and can get my prescriptions for cost! Too bad that doesn't work for HL as well--- As for the second opinion, I think the dealer is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, sometimes in medicine, the answer that you want to hear is not the correct answer!

Chris G
Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12791 09/28/99 01:47 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
There is for sure no known cure for what the doctor stated as "infectious lightititus". It is also very contagious, and puts a strain on the marriage, untill she/he gets "infected".

Rusty

Re: The smell of Harbour Lights #12792 09/28/99 09:26 PM
RezmanDale Offline
After buying 15 lights in the last four months I belive I have caught lightititus. I sure hope I can infect my wife soon! I have been banned from e-bay and am going through withdraw. The new smell of my last purchase is wearing off.

If I can get my Doctor to write a script do you think IRS would let me write my purchases off on my taxes?

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,338 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users