Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Frustrated #12217 01/03/04 02:40 AM
A
alabamalighthouses Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Happy Holidays all.. I'm one of those dreaded "lurkers".. I don't post often, but I read with great interest all your posts and appreciate all the info you're able to provide this relative LH newbie with... I must vent about my perils in collecting...
I've collected Little Lights since visiting my 1st lh a few years ago, and have amassed a decent collection, but never purchased a HL, as I knew if i got one, I'd not quit and I really couldn't convince the hubby I "needed" them....
To make a long story short, for Christmas my dad got me the Sand Island (AL) HL, which is by far my favorite LH of all, and to put it mildly, I am thrilled.. I cried like a little girl when I saw the box... Well, 3 days later as my mom is admiring the shelf that holds many of my large lights, voila' the %@)(&%)@(*#&Y%)*#^%)_(*#@ shelf falls off the wall (shelf has been there for 10 years, HL replica for 3 days).. stripped the screw right out of the shelf... in a heap lie my lights and obviously I freak out... several smashed Leftons, a few others, but they were painted by a local artisan and can be easily replaced.. my HL?? Yepper... the keepers house is now missing a corner on the peak of the roof... go figure!!! I wait 4 years to get my first real piece, and within a week it's trashed.... well, it not's trashed, it just is well worn now... It's still fared better than the real keepers quarters at Sand Island, but still...
Needless to say, mum's not allowed near my lights anymore and I don't think I'm going to get another HL, I don't think I could handle seeing another one end up like this Sand Island... So there you have it, my saga of my brief stint as a HL collector... (can I put in a request for a Little Light of Sand Island? I think I'm safe with them!)

Thanks for listening to my rant and I promise I'll go crawl back into my cave now...
Happy Posting!
Christi

Re: Frustrated #12218 01/03/04 02:48 AM
beckitex Offline
Christi,
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I can only imagine how upsetting that must be! Other than sympathy, the best I can offer you is to post your request for the LLOM in the "Wish List" Forum. I hope you can get a replacement for your LE soon!

Becki smile
Re: Frustrated #12219 01/03/04 03:06 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Christi,

Every once in a while one of our members shares a story like yours, and I can say we all suffer with you. However, if your dad paid for the HL with a credit card, you may be able to get a new light. Most MasterCard/Visa products have a form of insurance as one of the benefits. If the product is lost, damaged, whatever, within (normally) 3 months of purchase, they will repair or replace. Since HLs are collectibles and can't be repaired satisfactorily, they would need to replace it.

Anyway, it's worth asking your dad if he paid for it with a credit card, and if he did, ask him to contact the issuing bank to see if his card has the replacement guarantee included. (I speak from experience, as I "clipped" the wingtips on a $300 Lenox eagle years ago, and my credit card paid to replace it!)

Good luck.

Dave

Re: Frustrated #12220 01/03/04 04:39 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I feel your pain, Christi!

For the future, if you haven't already done this, take photos of your pieces, and list. Give this to your homeowners insurance carrier. It's possible depending on the carrier that you would receive "replacement" coverage. You might want to try submitting a claim now, but the credit card quest is a sound option.

Good luck, and I hope you decide to continue collecting HL Limiteds.

Judy smile

P.S.

Lefton is offering special pricing on remaining stock of the tall lights, because they are introducing the same ones with rotating beacons. Through a dealer, you may be able to replace the Leftons you lost at a bargain price.

Judy

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,248 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users