Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Some Observations About HL La Coruna #105404 01/25/00 01:38 AM
J
JULB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I usually try to obtain an actual photo of each HL piece I collect in order to have a handy reference near my display. As I was searching for La Coruna, I found the following image which indicates that location of the ancillary building at the base of the HL La Coruna piece is slightly off. The photo shows that it is on the side to the left of the "front/steps" but the HL piece has this building on the corner of the "back" side:
http://www.galinor.es/galeria/2.html

Also, this next (and lovely image) shows that the "Tower of Hercules"(La Coruna LH) is actually quite a ways off from the water on a hilltop and not surrounded by water up against the base like the HL piece suggests. (Look at the image at the bottom of the link, not just the very nice one at the top).
http://www.turismocoruna.com/torre-i.html

Either way, I love the HL piece and love the photos but the Chatham "roof line" controversy caused such a ruckus, that I wasn't sure if this merited being pointed out. (It's been pretty quiet around here lately you know.)

Nevertheless, if they hadn't had the opportunity to do so, some collectors of this piece can at least see what this beautiful tower looks like in its actual location.

to change images to links

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 01-25-2000).]

And edited again by JULB to switch the sequence of the two links. Thanks and gratitude to St. John for the help & input(below) and "engbrady" for helping out as well and very promptly tracking down these links and updating this while I was unavailable.

[This message has been edited by JULB (edited 01-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JULB (edited 01-27-2000).]

JB
Re: Some Observations About HL La Coruna #105405 01/25/00 02:09 AM
B
Bob Cappuccio Offline
B
Thanks for the wonderful pics of La Caruna..very beautiful.I can see what you mean about the building.The HL is a very nice piece and one of my favorites.As for the water,I think they did it in high tide..
Bob

Re: Some Observations About HL La Coruna #105406 01/25/00 03:02 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The offset building is probably one of those 'hidden copyright dealy-bobs' so that if some unscrupulous company chooses to use HL's research as perfect, the lawyers'll get em.

As for the water, I'd guess that was artistic license.

Now, JULB, a little bit of netiquette. I don't know the source for your photos; if they came from the internet some where, then did you obtain permission to use them here?

To be on the safe side, if you (and anyone) finds an image on the 'net, the best thing to do is LINK TO the image rather than bring the image to your post, giving credit where it is due. Please do a little checking on your images and edit accordingly.

For others, this same rule applies to quoted items like news stories from sites such as newspapers etc. Link to the story, don't copy and paste it into your message.

Keeps things on the up-and-up.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 01-25-2000).]

Re: Some Observations About HL La Coruna #105407 01/25/00 07:10 PM
easya Offline
The MOST burning question about this La Coruna controversy is: Where's the blasted Seahorse?

Re: Some Observations About HL La Coruna #105408 01/27/00 10:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"is actually quite a ways off from the water and is on a hilltop and not surrounded by water up against the base like the HL piece suggests"

Point Fermin has a similar distance from lighthouse to water discrepancy, the HL piece looks like you could run out the back door and right in to the water - but in reality the fall would kill you since the lighthouse is about 200 above the ocean on a cliff (I think when they resculpt the LE Point Fermin they should put it on a cliff like the Split rock OE or Cape Disappointment)

Diamond Joe

Re: Some Observations About HL La Coruna #105409 01/28/00 12:16 AM
J
JULB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
And oh yes... like "easya" pointed out, ......... Can anybody help with the seahorse? I & some others still can't find the little fella despite the guidance on the HL website.

Lets pray for some "saintly" insight on this elusive critter & Thanks in advance.

JB
Re: Some Observations About HL La Coruna #105410 01/28/00 12:32 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
My La Coruna is the "low tide" version with keepers and friends digging with clam rakes. LOL! All kidding aside, this HL is really well done and a very interesting piece.

Bob

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,352 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users