Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LETW #100679 10/15/99 03:14 PM
H
HLSG Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I love Ms. Liberty. Just one collector's opinion. It is a "detail" piece, one of the seemingly growing group of HL's that don't jump out at you from photographs but warm your heart in person.

I do not think that the Forum is a good indicator of the statue's projected success. If you haven't noticed, we have quite a few purists on the board, a much higher concentration than that found in the general market.

A bigger indicator of sales will be the $125 price tag. Supply and demand predicts that fewer people will buy this than if it were, say, $80. At $125, you will not pick up a lot of non-HL buyers, although I hope it appears in the SoL gift shop. While not limited to 10,000, I expect sales to be less.

I do not plan on displaying mine with a group of lighthouses. It will be set by itself, or as the centerpiece of either a liberty or New York motif mini-display.

Re: LETW #100680 10/15/99 06:40 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
So Jim in your mind, is being a purist a bad thing or a good thing?

I purely think it is a Great thing to be!

SaintWackoPuristPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: LETW #100681 10/15/99 06:50 PM
RRohweder Offline
Are you 100% Purist, or "Ivory Snow" Purist Saint Paul?

Rich

------------------

Re: LETW #100682 10/16/99 07:05 PM
H
HLSG Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Paul, I don't think collecting "purity" is either good or bad. I was describing, not judging.

My cornerstone believe is that each and every reason for collecting is just as valid as any other. There is a different approach to collecting for each and every collector. Who am I to say what anyone should do?

In pure terms, I would say LETW is more of a lighthouse than, say, Sea Pines, and I have one or two of those guys out on display. I would DEFINITELY consider a Colossus of Rhodes as an important aid to navigation, so to me what is good for the Rhodesian gander is good for the NY/NJ goose.

Re: LETW #100683 10/16/99 09:27 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
In pure terms, I would say LETW is more of a lighthouse than, say, Sea Pines, and I have one or two of those guys out on display.

Jim, I have very little objection to Harbour Lights making SoL as a lighthouse. I figured that it would happen sooner or later. There are probably over 200 lighthouses that I wish would have been made first.
What I do have a problem with is producing it as the special lighthouse that represents the new millennium. It was a lighthouse but not a special lighthouse. It is a special statue, a symbol of freedom for all.

Quote:
UPDATE: Available to order January 1 - December 31, 2000. HL refers to this as a "Turn of the Century" Special Edition. No preset edition size.

I just feel that popular won out over truly historic and that disappoints me.

Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: LETW #100684 10/17/99 12:37 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>If you haven't noticed, we have quite a few purists on the board, a much higher concentration than that found in the general market.<<

Purist means never having to say you're sorry.

Re: LETW #100685 10/17/99 11:49 PM
LamarB Offline
Actually, I believe Lady Liberty was an historically important lighthouse in that it was the first to use electricity. USLHS had many problems using electricity for lighthouse beacons and many of those problems were addressed at SOL and the 'kinks' worked out there. So, since electricity ended up being overwhelmingly predominant at US lighthouses, learning to 'do it right' is to me historically significant. It's not Sandy Hook important, not Boston Harbor important, but none the less, important. (IMO)

St. Paul brought to my attention that during the time period referred to above, the U.S. lighthouse administrating body was the Lighthouse Board, not the Lighthouse Service as I incorrectly stated. Thanks Paul. (edited for this note).

------------------
Keepin' the flame

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 10-19-99).]

Re: LETW #100686 10/18/99 05:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a link to a recent article about LETW
http://www.w-w-w.com/both/1999/march/Liberty_Light_frames.htm

"TheLightkeeper"

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,133 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users