cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98903 09/15/06 06:44 PM
smcclure Offline OP
OP Offline
I received my Conanicut piece today and it looks great. A previous post established that the replica provides a continuous light (not blinking) as did the original lighthouse itself. My only surprise was that only the tower lights up on this piece. In previous Christmas pieces, parts of the attached buildings lit up as well. Is there a reason why only the tower is illuminated, or is mine simply defective? Thanks, Scott

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98904 09/15/06 07:26 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Scott,

Your question is one that I had when I contacted HL about the blinking light. Yes, only the light on top is designed to be steady. Nothing else is supposed to light up.

Too bad. I suppose it's to save money.

bobo

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98905 09/15/06 07:50 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
They also caught some grief because people didn't like things lighting up and thought only the lens should be lit. That may also have entered the decision process.

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98906 09/16/06 06:07 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I purchased Marquette Harbor last year and I thought that it was cool that besides the tower lighting up...several of the windows were also lit. Makes me think of the keeper and his family being warm and snug inside!

Debbie
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98907 09/16/06 07:51 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Debbie,

I strongly agree with you. The blinking or steady light on top (whichever is appropriate) and a few lighted windows is fascinating. At first I was a tad apprehensive about the lighted lens, but I have grown to love it. In fact, I'm beginning to like the GLOW's more than the LE's -- which probably puts me in the minority.

But then again, I like looking at lighthouse photos with people included in the photograph – especially folks that I know. Lack of humanity makes the photograph look cold and sterile. (I’ll bet I get a volume of strongly worded negative feedback with that statement.) Paul’s photos without people are fantastic – but he has a far different and honorable objective. He and others are creating masterpieces for posterity. In years past, however, I’ve seen and heard some so-called “photographers” attempt to remove people from the area by using a few choice swear words or by utilizing inappropriate physical contact. That’s disgusting. Maybe sometime in the future I’ll post a couple of instances that I have witnessed pertaining to this subject.

bobo

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98908 09/17/06 04:07 AM
beachcomber Offline
I agree that the Christmas lights look much more cheerful when the buildings or decorated trees light up. I feel like Debbie - it

"Makes me think of the keeper and his family being warm and snug inside!" smile

beachcomber
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98909 09/18/06 09:59 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm looking forward to receiving my Conanicut Christmas piece, but I won't be lighting it up. I prefer my HL's to be without the rubber feet and lighting capabilities. I prefer my HL's to be like they were in the past.

smile Bob smile

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98910 09/18/06 10:55 AM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have mixed feelings about the Christmas pieces....

I don't mind the pieces being lit up if it is when ONLY the tower is lit up, however I prefer the old way of doing the Christmas pieces with NO rubber feet and electrical jack.

I think there could be a "middle" ground here if HLs would continue futher "refining" the process for the Christmas pieces; such as eliminating the rubber feet and locating the electical jack in a more appropriate locations instead of such as obvious locataion. Always room for inmprovement..

I believe that the lighting issue is very minor to even collectors that don't like the pieces being "lit up", however the rubber feet and jack is an issue that many collectors are concerned about every time a Christmas piece is released.

Christopher

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98911 09/19/06 01:05 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yes, I agree with that jack issue. It's ugly and distracting.
Judy

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98912 09/19/06 01:17 AM
beachcomber Offline
Chris, I totally agree about the rubber feet and the jack. Hopefully, improvement on these otherwise lovely pieces is forthcoming. smile

beachcomber
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98913 09/19/06 10:53 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
And if the jack is necessary, at least put it in a les conspicuous place than right in the fromt like last years!

Mike

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98914 09/19/06 11:09 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
They could make them battery operated.

As for the feet, I don't like them either.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98915 09/19/06 11:18 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree that the jack is an issue. To get around it(because mine are in my curio and how are you going to plug it in?) I use the battery option.

Debbie
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98916 09/20/06 01:12 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Quote:
which probably puts me in the minority
Put me in that minority too, Bob.

As a retailer these days, only about 10% of our Harbour Lights sales come from collectors. The other 90% are visiting the Cape Cod area, and want to purchase a replica of a lighthouse they've seen. We have every current Harbour Lights on display in 3 cases, and with the flick of a switch, all of the GLOWS will light up. After that, just about every person will purchase a Chatham, Brant Point or Edgartown. Sales of the non-lit Nauset and Highland GLOWS, and "limited" Race Point are basically non-existent this year.

Can this be a bad thing? Sales of GLOWS would be close to zero without the light-up feature. Although not fiancially feasible these days, we'd love to see all of the GLOWS gradually re-made as light-ups, starting with Cape Hatteras.

The average Harbour Lights customer today is not a collector. They don't care if it's a low numbered piece; they don't care if Bill or Nancy signed it; and they certainly don't care if it's a remake of a previously-made piece. They want to come into our store and find replicas of popular lighthouses they've visited. The light-up feature only makes it more realistic for them. In real life, isn't the lighting sequence of a lighthouse its most intriguing feature? Doesn't it make all of us just sit and stare?

These comments are not made to oppose or offend anyone else's comments, especially those lifelong Harbour Lights collectors. This is just an observation of what is happening on the retailer's end these days.

Jim

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98917 09/20/06 02:28 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well that's pretty much the final nail in my HL collecting coffin...I was barely hanging in there as it is...but it's obvious after this last post that the "new" HL only cares about tourists now...

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98918 09/20/06 08:48 AM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Quote:
the "new" HL only cares about tourists now
These are only our observations as a retailer, based on what WE are selling.

I think it's obvious from this latest set of releases, plus what you'll see next year, that Harbour Lights is still catering to the "collector."

Jim

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98919 09/20/06 11:17 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Makes sense about tourists and GLOWS. We've all been a tourist at one point in time. You want something to remind you of where you've been and what you've seen...so after your vacation, you look at it and remember the great time you had. You usually have a budget for souveniers,food,etc.So, if you are not a collector-you look at your choices. A LE or GLOW...the average person will pick the GLOW. It is less expensive and perhaps it does light up. Think about it...more for the money.
While they are looking at these choices, perhaps they will notice the detail on the LEs and make that choice next time. Maybe they will realize that they exist and become a collector.
That's how I started collecting Harbour Lights. Unfortunately my first few were another brand. Then I discovered HLs and I was hooked!!!
I don't think Jim is saying that tourists are being catered to. He is just sharing his observations about what the average person buys when they come into his place of business.

Debbie
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98920 09/20/06 11:49 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
As a retailer these days, only about 10% of our Harbour Lights sales come from collectors. The other 90% are visiting the Cape Cod area, and want to purchase a replica of a lighthouse they've seen. We have every current Harbour Lights on display in 3 cases, and with the flick of a switch, all of the GLOWS will light up. After that, just about every person will purchase a Chatham, Brant Point or Edgartown. Sales of the non-lit Nauset and Highland GLOWS, and "limited" Race Point are basically non-existent this year.
Often times we think we are the only people who support the HL lines. Little did we realize that the giftware/tourist sales are what brings the money in to keep the business going.

Quote:
The average Harbour Lights customer today is not a collector. They don't care if it's a low numbered piece; they don't care if Bill or Nancy signed it; and they certainly don't care if it's a remake of a previously-made piece. They want to come into our store and find replicas of popular lighthouses they've visited. The light-up feature only makes it more realistic for them. In real life, isn't the lighting sequence of a lighthouse its most intriguing feature? Doesn't it make all of us just sit and stare?
What you say is very true, Jim. From a business standpoint, I'm sure you would certainly want a steady flow of customers boosting your retail sales on a daily basis. Selling a limited number of new releases to a limited number of people will not pay the bills. The views of the die-hard traditionalists are respected by Harbour Lights but it doesn't keep the company in business. We were the foundation the company was built on but not the sole supporters of their business world today.

Quote:
These comments are not made to oppose or offend anyone else's comments, especially those lifelong Harbour Lights collectors. This is just an observation of what is happening on the retailer's end these days.
No offense taken, Jim. I appreciate your honesty in explaining the changing business climate for Harbour Lights. A company needs to do what it can to survive. This also applies to retailers who must change to keep up with the times.

Quote:
I don't think Jim is saying that tourists are being catered to. He is just sharing his observations about what the average person buys when they come into his place of business.
"5lights", you are absolutely correct! Having a person in the know like Jim is a definite plus to the people who frequent the CF.

Quote:
Well that's pretty much the final nail in my HL collecting coffin...I was barely hanging in there as it is...but it's obvious after this last post that the "new" HL only cares about tourists now...
Rock, I disagree with the part of your statement about the "new" HL only caring about tourists now. As long as Harbour Lights offers LE's in small edition sizes, I will feel they care about the collectors who make up the foundation this business was built on. The day they stop doing that is the day I will say, "You know Rock was right and I was wrong."

cool Bob cool

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98921 09/20/06 12:25 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Just remember one man's tourist is another man's potential collector...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98922 09/20/06 03:30 PM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Quote:
I'm sure you would certainly want a steady flow of customers boosting your retail sales on a daily basis
Quite often, Ann and I say, "If only we'd started this 10 years earlier!"

Jim

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98923 09/20/06 05:29 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:

QUOTE from Jim Awrey
Can this be a bad thing? Sales of GLOWS would be close to zero without the light-up feature. Although not fiancially feasible these days, we'd love to see all of the GLOWS gradually re-made as light-ups, starting with Cape Hatteras.
No this is not a bad thing. It is what is needed for Harbour Lights to stay alive.
Below are quotes from me, three years ago

Quote:

QUOTE from Daniel
09/18/2003

This is what’s going on.
Basically all the popular Glows have been made.
The glows are now starting to face the problem that has all ready effected the Limited Edition models.
All the poplar lights have been made. (Yes there are a few like Ocracoke left, but HL is basically running out of the big sellers for the GLOWs)
The money is in staying with the same first 50 or so popular lighthouses and keep redesigning the same lighthouse every couple of years. For Harbour lights to make the money they have to keep punching out new models every year. There is no money with issuing the same glow each year and putting a different letter on it. It doesn’t take long until it reaches it saturation point.

First came the L.E.
Then the glow
Then the ornaments
Then the revised GLOWs
Then the Spyglasses
Then Special limited edition event pieces of lighthouses all ready done.
Then the LLOM
Then the Guardian of the night.
Now it is the revised Glow with light.

What the lighting up does, it gives HL the opportunity to reissue another whole line of the same Lighthouses.

02/07/04

I expect to see the lighted glow to be the Harbour light main seller remaking all the big sellers and the L.E.'s just filling a void for the avid collectors.
Our collecting world is changing.

I personally feel that it is a good idea for Harbour Lights to remake all the GLOWS as lighted Lighthouses. This makes them more of a giftware and a novelty than a collectable. This will also bring in profits so that Harbour Lights stays in business and is still around to keep producing L.E.’s
This will in turn take away the competition from the L.E. and allow the L.E. flourish as a separate entity .
Quote:

QUOTE from Jim Awrey
Jim
I always enjoy your comments. It gives us collectors a dealer’s view.

Some other proof that shows how popular the lighted GLOWs are is ebay.
I was impressed with the fact 47 lighted glows and 14 LLOM went for $1500.
To me that shows that they are in demand. I doubt we would see the unlighted glows or even the new L.E.’s go for that kind of price.

Harbour lights on Ebay

DANIEL
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98924 09/20/06 10:37 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Jim,
Thanks for your comments. Your insight helps us collectors put things in perspective. It's not hard to understand that collectors are in the minority. I guess that is why the Forums are so interesting because no one else cares about our collections and can't understand why we would spend hard earned money on these things!! At least there is a group of WACKOs we can chat with who understand our love of lighthouses and collecting!
Judy

Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98925 09/20/06 10:46 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I think that most of us are still lighthouse tourists but we just take the time to smell the coffee!!

Good call, Daniel!! You can go back in the forums and find a lot things that have come true about Harbour Lights..

The best thing about Harbour Lights is the attention that they have brought to lighthouse restoration, IMHO..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98926 09/21/06 12:39 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
You can go back in the forums and find a lot things that have come true about Harbour Lights
One thing that came true is the lighted GLOWs and L.E.'s. It was talk about back in September 1999

First time mentioned about lighted L.E.\'s and Lighted GLOW\'s September 1999

DANIEL
Re: Conanicut, RI, Christmas 2006 #98927 09/24/06 04:03 PM
beachcomber Offline
I agree wholeheartedly with Paul. Bill Younger and Harbour Lights have brought a great deal of attention to lighthouse preservation. A lot of folks, who might not have paid much attention to this much neglected segment of our country's history, took notice after they were attracted to those lovely lighthouse miniatures. Many kudoes to Bill and his family for the major contribution they have made to lighthouse preservation!

Getting back on topic, CF members have certainly been instrumental in inspiring HL to make many of the improvements which have come about in the HL line. Many of our wishes have been granted because of what the active CF members discussed and posted in the forums. smile

beachcomber

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,501 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users