cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11105 08/31/05 06:22 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
During a report on 'Today' Tuesday AM, a reporter stood on the NW side of the Biloxi lighthouse, located in the median of US 90 in mid-Biloxi, gound zero for Katrina. As they panned, the now-barren seaside was similar to the sight north of the road, the gas station there having only it's tall carport roof over where the pumps were, the building - like the residences beyond - now having only it's foundation as a reminder.

The lighthouse was intact, although it's glazing around the lamp room appeared gone. My heart goes out to the victims there. The only H-L member I know in that area is Shortcake over near Mobile. I hope she is doing well - and survived the event in good shape.

Stainz

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11106 08/31/05 10:39 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I believe that Shortcake is at the Reunion. And I also know that she has been working in South Carolina and wasn't planning on returning to her home until December.

Rich
Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11107 09/02/05 03:55 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have just found a little lighthouse info on my second favourite ( wink ) lighthouse website and thought maybe you would be interested:
The Lighthouse Directory

I hope and pray that the humanitarian situation in the south of your country will get better and improve massively and quickly.

God watch over all the victims and give strength and resolve to all helpers!

But since we are all interested in lighthouses...

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11108 09/02/05 06:48 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Here's a photo that was posted on lighthousing.net by Jeremy D'etremont.

http://heh.pl/&1Os

It is a startling photo.

Dennis

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11109 09/02/05 07:28 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Wow. It's really amazing that that light is the only thing standing...and it fared quite well!

As for New Canal, as viewed in the LH Directory page...it seems to still be mostly intact, though maybe not as well. It looks like it was picked up off its foundation. The whole thing is askew, and the beautiful porch is gone. Do you all think it's a loss, or can it be repaired?

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11110 09/02/05 10:08 PM
Zachary Offline
Here's what's been comfirmed so far:
Biloxi: Still standing
New Canal: Still standing with severe damage
Sand Island: Still Standing, damage unknown
Mobile Point Skeletal Tower: Still standing, the older light was removed from the site some years ago for restoration and was not there when the hurricane struck
Middle Bay: Still Standing, Damage unknown
Chandeleur Island: Destroyed frown

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11111 09/03/05 02:36 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Six pieces of good news, and one of very sad news. frown Another light lost. This might be just the beginning.

Zachary...what's your source? Interested to see it.

Also...this is probably why it's lost:

Quote:
This chain of barrier islands is historically New Orleans’ first line of defense against tropical storms and hurricanes and is important habitat for wildlife.
Looking at LHFriends, it was a nice tower, too.

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11112 09/03/05 06:30 PM
Zachary Offline
My sources:
Biloxi, Russ's site (http://unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse)
New Canal, Russ's Site
Sand Island, News Article
Middle Bay: Same Article^
Mobile Point: Saw it in a photograph
Chandeleur Island: http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/hurricane/post-hurricane-katrina-photos.htm
It was indeed a beautiful tower, Kraig's photos however, don't show the lighthouse as it was just before Katrina struck. It was standing in open water, alot further from any land than his photos show, and the wooden pier wasn't there. This picture was taken after Hurricane Ivan struck.
http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/hurricane/images/lighthouse_post.jpg (the lighthouse is squared in)

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11113 09/04/05 11:26 AM
B
bcatfan Offline
B
Has anyone found any information about the West Rigolets Lighthouse?

Beth
Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11114 09/04/05 12:49 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Michael Caswell has a website just for West Rigolets and he has updated with Katrina info. He said it might be some time before he can make it out to the area. He doubts it survived, I tend to share that opinion. frown

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11115 09/04/05 03:32 PM
Zachary Offline
I highly doubt it's still standing as well. That and Pass Manchac are probably destroyed.

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11116 09/11/05 02:51 AM
R
Real Window Gallery Offline
R
Tough news,

I hope they survived!

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11117 09/11/05 04:44 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Just got an email from Michael Caswell, who had made a website just for West Rigolets. He wrote:

Just heard a reporter on WWL 870AM who is touring the area by boat...
the West Rigolets Lighthouse did not survive the hurricane
("completely gone, no sign of it at all" were the words he used). frown

--Mike

Sad news, but I guess it was just a matter of time since the private owner would do nothing.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11118 09/11/05 04:53 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thaat's terrible news, Mike.

Why didn't the owner do anything for the West Rigolets?

bobo

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11119 09/11/05 05:03 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Too bad. That was one of my favourite LA lights, and another unique, one-of-a-kind light that is lost. So now the death count from this hurricane is 2...and who knows how many more.

LA is a state full of endangered lights. Even before Katrina, many of them were ready to go any day. The storm just speeded it up.

Bob...in response to your wondering about the owner's interest in preserving his light...I have no idea. It baffles me even more when I think of how he had offers of help, which would mean he'd need to use little or no effort to save the light. It's another tragic case of what happens with privately owned lights... frown

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11120 09/12/05 09:15 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Ship Island Replica is also gone according to email reports. frown For those who don't know this was a exact replica to replace the one that burned down. If was even built on the same exact site.

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11121 09/12/05 10:41 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Another one? That's 3 now. I know how much heart and effort was put into the Ship Island Replica, too, which makes it even sadder.

It does make one wonder, though..if they rebuilt, would the new one be called "Ship Island Lighthouse Replica Replica?"

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11122 10/14/05 12:00 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Pass Manchac survives! smile It still needs a lot of work, but is still standing. laugh

Re: Biloxi lighthouse still stands after Katrina #11123 10/27/05 04:11 AM
beachcomber Offline
I really feared for the Bolivar Lighthouse when it looked like Hurricane Rita was heading our way. I haven't been in the area in a couple of years, but, at that time, I went on the property to try to find the owners. No one was home but I managed to look around - trespassing, of course. The lighthouse itself, to my uneducated eye, has a lot of structural damage. I managed to look in through a small window and could see debris where something inside has collapsed. Fortunately, the keeper's house is in excellent condition - I've since learned that it is no longer a weekend home but a permanent residence for the people who own it. Another branch of the family supposedly owns the assistant keeper's house and that is sorely neglected. The oil house building also seems to have structural damage - huge crack running from top to bottom of one brick wall, among other problems. I still have hopes that, someday, the owners will do something to restore this wonderful jewel of the Texas Gulf Coast.

beachcomber

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,446 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users