Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96612 08/27/99 07:35 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I see where Harbour Lights has a new adventure underway. Has anyone seen the items in person.

Moby

Moby
Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96613 08/27/99 10:48 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes they were on display at Rosemont. Thanks for the reminder I am supposed to send those images to John. They should be on the HL site soon.

I added the following from a post in the Rosemont Forum on Friday, June 25, 1999.

Quote:
Next - a new product taking Younger & Associates in a new direction. The introductory pieces build on the Lighthouse Legacy of Harbour Lights. It is a series of four people that form a story of "ordinary people being extraordinary..."

It depicts the story of the flying Santa of New England. He was a pilot caught offshore in a winter storm and despairing of safely home. He was saved by finding the light of a lighthouse along the coast and followed the beacons safely home to Boston.

He was so grateful for the lighthouses that guided him home that he backed up Christmas gifts and flew over each of the lighthouses and dropped presents to the isolated families. He repeated the act each Christmas for many years -- and it continues today, taken over by others who keep the legend alive.

There are four pieces in this initial set. The pilot, the lightkeeper, the keeper's wife and child (together), and a small boy. Each of the items is very well done.

Edited 6/29 my feeling is that there are a lot of 'human' sculptures on the market now that just don't look very lifelike. But each of these from Days Gone By IS very lifelike. I'll have Paul's photos of these soon.

Future issues will NOT necessarily be lighthouse related but will follow the theme of ordinary people - in heroic situations. The working name is "Days Gone By"

I promised John I would do them tonight.

SaintWackoPaul'
Keep the Flame

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 08-27-99).]

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96614 08/27/99 02:12 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Pictures of them are in the latest catalog from Lighthouse Depot. Personally, I'm underwhelmed. I guess I have to see them in person first. In my opinion they should have started out with a bigger bang, a la Anchor Bay, with more pieces. Perhaps famous figures like Abbie Burgess, Ida Lewis, Captain Ahab et al, in addition to the Flying Santa figures.

Anyone know if they're going to put out a brochure on this new line...or is this more of a stealthy trial balloon they're floating up?

Once again I find myself asking why I have to see these things first in a retail store catalog instead of this web site. That's not a slam on John or Paul...just a strong suggestion to Harbour Lights to make sure new introductions are seen here first.

[This message has been edited by Bill Harnsberger (edited 08-27-99).]

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96615 08/27/99 02:28 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Although the WWW is growing at an astounding rate, it still has many to convert. Perhaps HL feels it's not their # 1 priority yet. Actually, the site doesn't feature all the apparrel items, notecards, etc. It's main focus is and should be the HL's themselves.

Just re-checked the catalog. I missed both the figurines and the wallpaper border the first time (as being HL). The Flying Santa is a nice tribute as well as the keeper. Don't know if the rest of the family will prove as popular.

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 08-27-99).]

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96616 08/27/99 03:40 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
No slam taken, Bill.

The new series "Days Gone By" is not going to be limited to lighthouses or lighthouse stories. It is going to be based on stories about "ordinary people doing extraordinary things". It is my understanding that Younger & Associates, Inc. is looking to do pieces that tell a story about the events that just regular people have done that may have resulted in some fame. It won't be nessecary that the people portrayed are now famous, but most definitely they won't be done of people who were famous before the event that is being portrayed. Also this won't be necessarily carried at all Harbour Lights dealers. They, of course will be offered the line but not required to carry it nor will it be restricted to only current or future Harbour Lights dealers. I suspect the ad you refer to probably is there to get feedback from stores, as well as future collectors of the series. That is just my guess and it isn't based on any information from Harbour Lights to me.

We collect HL lighthouse because I love lighthouses and they are the best. We have very few other collectibles in our house (no room); Sue's Beanie Babies, and a few others. We don't have any figurine collectibles, but I have put in my order for the first set, The Christmas Santa, because we liked the look of it and I have always loved the story.

Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96617 08/27/99 05:43 PM
K
Kevin Offline
K
I don't mind admitting I'm pretty lost about what this is all about. Lighthouse Depot's web site doesn't have anything I can find about Days Gone By or a Flying Santa. I gather they are figurines produced by Y&A. This is an example of how valuable Paul's photos are -- I'm looking forward to them, and thank you, Paul.

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96618 08/27/99 08:13 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Harbour Lights wants to have info on the web site about "Days Gone By", some of that delay since Rosemont has been my fault for not keeping track of that.

Now I'm awaiting some art to use on the pages. Paul has shot photos for me and I need to 'merge' those with the background art.

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96619 08/27/99 11:54 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Kevin:

If you can get your hands on the latest catalog from Lighthouse Depot (mine came yesterday) you can see them.

Ask for a free copy of "Lighthouse Digest" and you'll be on the mailing list for the catalog.

(Page 13) The figurines include Flying Santa (William Wincapaw), Keeper's Chores (Lightkeeper Davis), Company's Coming (Keeper's daughter and her Mom) and Me First (Son George and his dog Casey). They range in size from 2 1/2" to 5" high and in price from $15 to $25.

(Page 36) The wallpaper borders ($17) feature illustrations of 5 different HL's) and come in 3 background colors.

Mombo

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 08-27-99).]

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96620 08/30/99 02:07 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
HL takes another shot a diversification. Their first effort, Anchor Bay, (which I like) has not been an extraordinary success. Now they're trying figurines. I don't pay much attention to them, but it seems like there are several companies already in the figurine business. (There are also a lot of ship model companies.)

Do other collectors who branch out beyond lighthouses know the state of the figurine market? Is it hot? Do you collect?

__
/im

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96621 09/04/99 01:10 AM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
I just saw the new figurines on the HL site. My observation is: the "flying Santa" is from 1929. The woman and "Olive", the child, are not dressed in clothes that would have been worn in 1929. Their dress, or perhaps primarily the woman's dress, is from a much earlier time. Before flight. Does this bother anyone besides me? If I wasn't such a history nut, I might never know the difference. I don't collect figurines (except of lighthouses) so I won't be getting this set, but I just had to see if anyone else noticed or if there was some sort of explanation that is so obvious that I can't see it. Maybe I'm missing something. Besides a few marbles

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96622 09/04/99 12:29 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
My observation is: the "flying Santa" is from 1929. The woman and "Olive", the child, are not dressed in clothes that would have been worn in 1929.

Perhaps being lightkeepers with low pay, they wore hand-me-downs from 20 years back?

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96623 09/05/99 12:00 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Not much point in Olive being a fashion plate. Who was there to impress?

Mombo

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96624 09/05/99 12:40 AM
D
dwood Offline
D
I, too, missed these on my first run through the catalog. Thanks for the page references. I don't think I'll be purchasing!

Dixie

Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96625 09/20/99 03:53 PM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Each numbered, open edition figurine is hand-painted by skilled craftsmen and women, and is accompanied by a brief history.
Sculptures will arrive just in time for Christmas. Please call 800-365-1219 for the dealer nearest you.
Younger & Associates
All orders for sets received prior to the commencement of shipping will have matching numbers. After that, matching numbers cannot be guaranteed.

Our HL dealer tried to order the complete set with matching numbers and was advised by HL that they were not taking orders at the present time. Does anyone have any idea as to why they are not taking orders for the matched set?

Tom & Joyce
Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96626 09/21/99 09:25 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
The Flying Santa set MIGHT have a special attraction for some of our NELL members. We are having our HL Christmas party in York, ME, to see the turning on of Christmas lights on Sat. Nov. 27, which will outline Nubble-Cape Neddick Lighthouse. We are trying to get the Flying Santa to put on a program at our dinner about the origin of the annual flight to drop presents. We are planning to make a money tree from donations rather than exchange gifts; and it would be presented to Nubble and FLying Santa. The figurine set, therefore, would have more meaning for our members.

Try contacting the Bronze Lady of Orlando, as I know they were handling this set. Terry often posts on the General Forum and you can find his e-mail there to make an inquiry about their availability.

ladylightkeeper
Re: Flying Santa Series & Wallpaper Border #96627 09/21/99 11:16 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Harbour Lights says they ARE taking orders from dealers. Have your dealer re-contact them at 800-365-1219.

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,282 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users