cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mobile Point Lighthouse went bye-bye..... #10107 09/07/03 01:29 PM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
The first time I ever saw the thirty-five foot 1873 vintage open frame iron tower, it was laying, rusting, on it's side outside the seaward walls of Fort Morgan, on the eastern side of the mouth to Mobile bay. The last few times I saw it, it was standing proudly outside the fort's walls and next to the museum, in glistening black. It's fourth order Fresnel was inside the museum.

During my post-Labor Day vacation (I am frugal... a retired college teacher, I must count pennies so I can afford my hobbies!) to the Redneck Riviera (Gulf Shores, Alabama) I elected to go photograph that light as well as the Biloxi and Pensacola lights. It was last Wednesday, clear blue AM sky with a few fluffies for contrast - and my polarizers for help as well. As I eased past the ferry landing, I detected something amiss... actually, a-missing! The light was GONE! A quick check inside the museum revealed that the iron tower had been taken by a preservation group for a complete - estimated SIX years - restoration just last month. I think I will look for my son's Erector set and some black Rustoleum paint - I can make a replica...

Discouraged, we elected not to ride the ferry - we headed for Pensacola. Sidetracked by some super deals on my wife's collectibles - and a few more old stock super deal H-L's for me, we never made it to the Navy base and lighthouse. Back to the condo with the trunk full.... and only a few shots of Sand Island from Fort Morgan (Very clear AM - 500mm f8 Canon Reflex lens helped.) in my camera, we became more typical tourists. By the way, this is a great time to go - no tourists (especially teenagers!) and the few places still open are very happy for the few visitors.

I just never expected the first lighthouse I went to see to be gone!

John

Re: Mobile Point Lighthouse went bye-bye..... #10108 09/08/03 02:05 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Six year restoration? They have a part time minimum wage yo-yo hand sanding the thing? Taking out each bolt, cleaning and indivisually repainting, no more than one per week?

Maybe they are figuring that after 6 years everyone will forget about it and they will have their own, genuine antique lighthouse.

Hopefully the person who gave you the info goofed and meant 6 months!

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,316 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users