Next Thread
Print Thread
Hatteras trip #9866 09/02/99 09:38 PM
B
Bob Cappuccio Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi all,

Just got back from a wonderful 5 day vacation down at the outer banks.Visited all 4 lighthouses..Ocracoke,Currituck,Hatteras and my favorite Bodie Island.After visiting Hatteras and talking with the ranger for an hour,it amazes me more how they moved this wonderful lighthouse.The 140,00 bricks are almost finished underneath it and once that is finished,they will finish the sourrounding area of the lighthouse.What I found very interesting is going to the old spot where it was and looking down the path to where it is now.The only thing at the old spot is 36 huge marble like granite stones which will be moved to the new location and placed where they were before,right underneath.I am kind of hoping that they will put some sort of monument on the old spot but didn't get a answer to that.What was really interesting is the new logo of the moving company that pulled this off.Its on one of the trailers and its the herculian man flexing his muscles from the side/back with block island in one hand and in the other,a scale with Hatteras in it.Really is neat.Bodie was wonderful also..as the sun went down,I found myself alone there snapping pictures as the light came on.Left there monday morning in a driving rain storm and winfds at 50 miles perhour and it only got worse.Hatteras did make it without a scratch but the lighting ceremony scheduled for sept.4th ans been postponed.Ok,theres my update..lol..have a great day!

Re: Hatteras trip #9867 09/03/99 12:25 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like you had a great trip Bob. Glad it was last week and not this week!

MOMBO

Re: Hatteras trip #9868 09/03/99 02:56 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
It is an interesting design. Don't suppose they are kinda proud of their accomplishments, do you?

Dave

Re: Hatteras trip #9869 09/03/99 11:44 AM
LamarB Offline
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, Bob.

Quote:
I am kind of hoping that they will put some sort of monument on the old spot but didn't get a answer to that.

I'd be kind of surprised if they put a monument at the old spot. It can't be too long before the old location is under water, if it's not already. From what I've learned about the effects of Dennis, some SERIOUS beach erosion has already occurred.
[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 09-03-99).]

Re: Hatteras trip #9870 09/03/99 08:57 PM
B
Bob Cappuccio Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Lamar and Dave,

You are correct dave in saying that they are proud in what they did.They should be.Totally amazes me when your right next to it.
Lamar,I'm thinking maybe they still could erect something around the area.Your right in saying the erosion is unreal..maybe they could move it 100ft back with an arrow saying..lol..at that spot over there stood the hatteras lighthouse.Anyway,for anyone that has never been to the outer banks,make it in your plans soon.The place is wonderful.I have been going there yearly for about 20yrs now and everytime,it amazes me more.Have a great day!
Bob

Re: Hatteras trip #9871 09/07/99 10:04 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
The Outer Banks is a great area, I hope Dennis didn't rough it up too bad.I spent a week there last year, and discovered Harbour Lights. I was already a LH nut.
Maybe a bouy over the original foundation can mark the location. Pictures I've seen looks like the LH was moved in the nick of time.
Any way, I'm hoping to get back next summer.

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (DANIEL), 1,345 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users