Print Thread
Too Many Forums #80477 12/20/06 04:42 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
The discussion started in the 'Ode to...' thread - somewhat off topic mind you, but only somewhat as Paulie commented that the sheer number of different forums could be off-putting to a newbie participant. So as not further to interrupt the pining and nostalgia in that thread, and because I thought this was your typical FSB kinda topic in its own right, I'm starting this new thread for the express purpose ... yadda yadda...

Of course Paulie is right. There are too many forums. (There are also way too many excruciatingly mind-numbing responses of low information value, but at least this is better than a cocktail party where their author may actually trap you in a corner as here you can skip over certain posters, but thats a different topic.)

There has been a 33% increase in the number of forums since 1999 if you count the so called 'private' forums, 28% increase if you don't.

And shucks, I thought there were too many back then. In 1999 there was a forum to discuss the '98 reunion, a forum to discuss the 99 reunion, a forum to discuss the Long Beach event, a forum to discuss '99 store events, a forum to discuss screensavers (now there's a '90's topic if I ever heard one), a forum to discuss birthdays, a forum to discuss things that hadn't happened yet, a forum to discuss things that might of happened but no one is really sure, a forum to discuss whether beavers should wear white after labor day .... alright, I made up those last two, but you get the idea.

And yes, there has been a 400% increase in forum membership since '99, but likewise a 400% decrease in forum participation today.

So yeah, I think there are too many forums today and agree that so many can be confusing to potential participants.

...pages falling off calendar as we fade in the harpsichord for an 18th Century interlude...

Emperor Joseph II: My dear young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect.

Mozart: Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

... and we're back

I have a theory about why there are so many, but its a bit too meaty, so maybe better to get straight to the potatoes. Which forums should be cut, merged, allowed to lapse, ignored, etc? Since several of you apparatchiks might fear having to justify the existence of certain territories, don't worry should your little piece of heaven get voted off the crib, John Chidester will send you a set of stickers thanking you for your service and your name will be carved in one of the benches out back here at the FSB. (Mark and I have our own flotation devices, so I don't fear being jettisoned - although I'm not sure about this poseur Hannum - by the way did you see where his partner Joe Barbera passed away? Fred and Wilma send their condolences.)

Anyway - are there too many forums? Which ones should go and why? What can be done to raise the general level of discourse so *if* a newbie stumbles by he might be enticed to while away the hours with scintillating conversation.

Mozart: The whole thing is set in a harem, Majesty. In a seraglio.
Count Orsini-Rosenberg: You mean in Turkey?
Mozart: Yes, exactly.
Count Orsini-Rosenberg: Then why especially does it have to be in German?
Mozart: It doesn't, especially. It could be in Turkish if you really want.

From the FSB, where we check our pointy little shoes at the door,
__
/im

Re: Too Many Forums #80478 12/20/06 12:08 PM
R
ropetrick Offline
R
Tim,

I agree. And enjoyed your presentation.

An introductory tour would be helpful for newbies.

Just looking at how long some topics have been dormant provides clues.

Sometimes, Less is More. Addition by Subtraction.

Dan

Re: Too Many Forums #80479 12/20/06 12:17 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I disagree and feel the Forums have something for everyone if the need arises. If a Forum isn't used for a time, that is alright. At least the Forum is there when the need arises. We have to keep up with the needs of the members or else we will become obsolete. If something doesn't interest you then pass it on by. What is posted will interest someone and that someone is important. I also feel a Forum should be added to sell collectibles other than Harbour Lights. That Forum should have a minimum limit of 50 posts before it can be used to post.

Rich
Re: Too Many Forums #80480 12/20/06 12:31 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I really disagree with adding a forum to sell, buy or trade other than Harbour Lights products..

It would be uncontrollable in no time, by keeping it to Harbour Lights products only, we have had very, very few issues.. A flea market isn't what we are about and we don't have the software and network to be an eBay..

There are already plenty of other places to sell other items...

As to 50 posts being required to post, well I have seen people post 50 in not more than a day to become a Wacko. I could post 50 in the next half hour that doesn't make me responsible!

We have kept it to Harbour Lights products in the Forums to protect the collector..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Too Many Forums #80481 12/20/06 01:18 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I totally agree with what Rich is saying in his post two above this reply. Reducing the number of forums at the CF serves no purpose. It would only drive more current or potential new members to other sites to pass their Internet time.

I'm also for allowing other collectibles to be offered at the Trading Post. Not everyone who stops by the CF is a HL collector. Many have replicas made by other manufacturers and are driven away by our current "Harbour Lights Only" attitude. Many of our visitors may have other things that our membership would be interested in but we'll never know if we stick with "HLO", now will we.

We must look to the future while preserving our past. Eliminating a chance of change for the good will only lead to our demise.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Too Many Forums #80482 12/20/06 03:08 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Beanie Babies !! Yeah, thats the ticket.

Re: Too Many Forums #80483 12/20/06 08:02 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob, the forums were started by Harbour Lights Collectors for Harbour Lights Collectors... A by product of that has been the lighthouse photography and actual lighthouse information... The idea from the beginning was to help others interested in Harbour Lights lighthouses, to get others interested in Harbour Lights lighthouses and to provide a Forum for those people..

We don't have to have thousands of people posting to accomplish our goals, in fact we accomplish a lot for the people who don't want to post but just read..

I think you will see when the 2007 releases of Harbour Lights are announced that Don, Tony and Harry are working hard towards making the Limited Edition lighthouses Limited once again..

I will be working this year to get the link to the Forums from the Harbour Lights re-linked. I think that will help both the Forums and Harbour Lights..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Too Many Forums #80484 12/20/06 09:25 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Beanie Babies !! Yeah, thats the ticket.
Tim, ... If you want to sell your Beanie Babies you should start out at a penny a pound, but you may have to wait awhile until we can convince Paul that offering items other than Harbour Lights is not a bad thing. Someone told me the reason you haven't been posting at the CF was that all your attention was at the "Bonkers for Beanie Babies" site. It is truly nice to see you back posting again. I was afraid you had abandoned us for the BBC (Beanie Baby Crowd).

Quote:
Bob, the forums were started by Harbour Lights Collectors for Harbour Lights Collectors... A by product of that has been the lighthouse photography and actual lighthouse information... The idea from the beginning was to help others interested in Harbour Lights lighthouses, to get others interested in Harbour Lights lighthouses and to provide a Forum for those people.
We've butted heads on this topic before, Paul. It is true the CF was initiated by HL Collectors for other Harbour Lights Collectors. Then we found that you didn't have to be an actual HL Collector to participate at the CF. The alleged breaking of the strictly HL collecting was compromised with the introduction of all the wonderful photography done by our posters, and the discussion of actual lighthouse surfaris. Now we have further expanded the CF by having people list some of their personal vacation and other adventures. We also allow the sharing of good news and sometimes not so good news. This type of interaction serves to develop bonds between our members which have lead to many friendships. That is a wonderful thing! That's what these Internet sites should do!

If we ever went back to our original plan of a site strictly for Harbour Light Collectors discussing nothing but Harbour Lights, we would be very few in number. It would probably be reminiscent of the old AOL Board days. They were fun but few participated.

Now we have over a thousand people registered here but only a certain few consistently post topics and/or replies. Many of the non-posters have interests other than Harbour Lights. They should be allowed the same rights as those of the HL collectors when it comes to offering some of their collectibles at the Trading Post. I didn't have a dream and I haven't been to the mountain, but I do know we need to consider other people's ideas and feelings if we want the CF to thrive in the future. A steadfast view of old will cause us to get stale, grow mold with age, and crumble. I'm not willing to accept such a view just because that was the way it always was.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Too Many Forums #80485 12/21/06 10:37 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
This is a Harbour Lights 'Lighthouse' Collectors website.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Too Many Forums #80486 12/21/06 11:08 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Lighthouse Marketing, Ltd.
That's what it says at the top of the first page! Did you guys know that?

smile Bob smile

Re: Too Many Forums #80487 12/21/06 02:25 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
Quote:
The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Lighthouse Marketing, Ltd.
That's what it says at the top of the first page! Did you guys know that?

smile Bob smile
Yep, it says that- and if I'm not mistaken it has for quite sometime and will continue into the future.

It's similar to that legal disclaimer on the back of that ticket you get when you park your car and has as much actual validity.

It goes back to what John said on the other thread this is being discussed on- the HLCF is what it is and is his baby and while other views are encouraged and tolerated if he doesn't want something to happen it's just not going to happen here.

He doesn't want to allow other collectibles to be sold here- and this is not a new concept- so I'd say that no matter how many think it's a good idea it just isn't going to happen.

You are right that many other topics are discussed here but they fit into a different category- they are not in financial competition with the product that is the primary subject of this site.

There are other places to find collectibles of other manufacture and it's not needed for them to be available here. It might be nice to have access to other lighthouse collectibles but I just don't see john changing his mind about this subject.

I know you say this is your favorite site but if you want to add other collectibles to the mix you'll probably have to create your own site with your own rules to accomplish that.

I'm a rabble rouser at times but in certain areas I can be very pragmatic- this is one of them. It just ain't gonna happen no matter how many times it comes up so I just live with it as it is.

Dennis

Re: Too Many Forums #80488 01/04/07 11:39 AM
beachbum1616 Offline
Adding my two cents worth...

For what it is worth, the main reason I don't post here very often is that there are so many forums on this site, that finding things that you are looking for (for me at least) can be difficult.

If I counted right, there are 39 forums where folks can begin a topic. To me, that seems like to many. There seems to be a forum for everything, when a number of forums are similar or could be combined under a "general discussion" forum to make things less complicated.

I am sure that someone will object to my suggestion that some of them be elminated or combined, but that is just the way I feel. I think overall this is a good site with a lot of good people and information sharing, among other things, and I agree that less is more.

Just my thoughts...

Stephen

65 Lighthouses, 3 Lightships, and 18 Life-Saving Stations Visited!
Re: Too Many Forums #80489 01/04/07 10:17 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Maybe we should have a forum on how many forums to have (he stated whimsicly)? :rolleyes: This would increase the count to a nice round 40. laugh

Geo H.
Re: Too Many Forums #80490 01/05/07 11:43 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
For what it is worth, the main reason I don't post here very often is that there are so many forums on this site, that finding things that you are looking for (for me at least) can be difficult.
Stephen, I tend to disagree with you on that point. I would think that some people have their favorites and just pass by those of no interest to them.

My personal forum useage is determined by finding whatever post is new and reading it. Many folks don't feel that way and want the number of forums reduced. I feel we should offer more than just Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry. I like the Rum Raisins and Frozen Puddings! smile

towel Bob

Re: Too Many Forums #80491 01/05/07 12:26 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
My personal forum useage is determined by finding whatever post is new and reading it. Many folks don't feel that way and want the number of forums reduced. I feel we should offer more than just Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry. I like the Rum Raisins and Frozen Puddings!
Me too! I use the forum in a similar way and I like the multitude of subjects and discussions.

But I also agree with Paul
Quote:
I really disagree with adding a forum to sell, buy or trade other than Harbour Lights products..
You can go too far. The CF is/are And if you want to buy or sell other than HL ... well I guess that is what eBay and other such set-ups are for. Still that is just my opinion. And I would not have a great problem with it, if the deals would include other items.

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Too Many Forums #80492 01/05/07 04:41 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
If it ain't broke.... Don't bash

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Too Many Forums #80493 01/05/07 05:00 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I second that, Bob!

Debbie
Re: Too Many Forums #80494 01/06/07 10:50 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I also agree with Bob.

Cyndi
Re: Too Many Forums #80495 01/07/07 12:09 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint

DANIEL

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,351 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users