LighthouseKeepers.com

How come?

Posted By: Cana Fan

How come? - 10/08/04 03:04 PM

I've noticed this before but just got around to asking. How come, if two or more replies are posted to a topic, the "post counter" doesn't change. I've made a couple of posts on the same topic on different days but yet my post count stays the same! I' vying ofr the ever elusive "SUPER WACKO" status and need all the help I can get!

Mike
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: How come? - 10/08/04 09:03 PM

Mike,

It is my understanding that the same post number is done on purpose. Many times a second post is needed, but we are expected to EDIT the previous post. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Maybe John or Dave or Jim or the Forum Fairy can add more accurate information.

Bob
Posted By: Bob M

Re: How come? - 10/09/04 11:50 AM

You guys have arouse my curiosity, so I'll do a test right here in this topic.

This is post 5684 for me, or that's what came up when I clicked "add reply". This last sentence was added via "edit post".

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Bob M

Re: How come? - 10/09/04 11:53 AM

Okay, now this is my second post in the same thread without leaving the thread. I clicked "add reply".

This is post 5685 for me and the reply above this one has changed to 5685. I guess the counter is working just fine and it indicates the total amount of posts.

Problem solved?

cool Bob cool

Re: How come? - 10/09/04 01:21 PM

I forgot about Bob M. And he gave the correct answer. Thanks Bob.

Bob
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: How come? - 10/11/04 02:52 PM

Well maybe I'm jst going crazy or it's my new computer, but on my screen, both of Bob M's posts say Posts: 5686, and both of Bob Ott's say Posts: 396 in the bottom left hand corner. Does anybody else see this or is it just me?

Mike

Now I think I figured it out. After I posed this reply it seemed to update Bob Ott to 411 and Bob M to 5699.

I'll be quiet now.
Posted By: mombo

Re: How come? - 10/11/04 06:02 PM

Hey Mike if you want to cheat here's what you do. Make 63 more posts. Then delete them. The counter counts 'em but doesn't deduct them when you delete them! wink

(Psst.... Don't tell anyone this.... laugh )

Re: How come? - 10/11/04 06:55 PM

Mombo.

Now that really isn't fair. I certainly hope that John can figure out a way to stop that counting aspect from happening.

Bob
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: How come? - 10/12/04 06:45 PM

A few years ago, we had a member here that was doing just what Mombo stated! I noticed his numbers were jumping about 25 to 30 posts a day and he was only making 1 or 2 "legal" posts each day! I sent him an e-mail and asked what his secret was! He told me he was trying to post a picture and it wasn't working! (I believe he was just trying to run up his numbers!)

Shortly after my asking, his numbers stopped jumping by 25 to 30 a day and he is now no longer posting at all!

Re: How come? - 10/13/04 12:55 AM

Thanks Randy,

I'll help you watch from here on in. NOT that anyone would do such a dastardly thing.

Bob
© 2024 Collector Forums