LighthouseKeepers.com

About your username

Posted By: seagirt

About your username - 09/03/04 07:27 PM

A lot of times when I go through these forums, I wonder what on earth some of our usernames mean. Some are obvious, such as using your real name, but some have me baffled.

I thought it might be fun to share the meanings of our usernames. There's alot about us in those couple characters. Sometimes it's just not so easily seen.

My username, Seagirt, is an honor to my favorite lighthouse, the Sea Girt Light in Sea Girt, NJ. I'm not sure what makes it such a favorite, but there's something. I am going to be giving tours there during the NJ Challenge in Oct...stop by, it shouldn't be too hard to miss me. :rolleyes:

So, what is the meaning behind YOUR username? smile
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: About your username - 09/03/04 07:53 PM

Guess?
Posted By: wheland

Re: About your username - 09/03/04 08:03 PM

I suppose that I liked the idea of simple when I first started playing around on the internet- I figured it would be hard for me to forget my Last Name & First Initial (Whelan, D)if I used it as my username whenever possible.

No imagination.

Unfortunately many people here and on other lists I go to believe my last name is Wheland even though I always type my name as Whelan.

That's life!

Dennis
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: About your username - 09/03/04 08:07 PM

MRSTLC Quite simply put...Mrs. Terrance L. Cooper...My license plate reads MMTLC for Mr. & Mrs. :rolleyes:
Ruthie smile
Posted By: Tom and Joyce Abbott

Re: About your username - 09/03/04 08:17 PM

Pretty self-explanatory. Apparently we have no imagination at all.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: About your username - 09/03/04 09:03 PM

I joined the forum on the first day.
Pretty much had the choice of names to use.
Back then, it seemed that people used some form of their name for there username.
I picked my first name. My thoughts were that my name has been picked and no other can use it. Anyone else that wanted to use Daniel would have to be some form of Daniel.
Posted By: catzb1

Re: About your username - 09/03/04 10:45 PM

This will be my first post.
Catzb1 is cat for my first name (Cathy) z is the first letter of my maiden name (Zigretti) and B is the first letter of my married name (Boyle). I think it is kinda catchy! Very easy to remember.
Posted By: JCRice

Re: About your username - 09/03/04 11:13 PM

Mine was easy...and pretty unimaginative, too. "JCRice" is my aol name (jcrice@aol.com). I came up with that "back in the day" because it was my computer ID at work at the time. So I just stuck with that as my screen name/user name wherever I can use it online... A lot of sites now ask for a number as part of your username so, on those, I have used jcrice70.

Oh...and for the curious, it stands for Jeffrey Charles Rice...my name...and, where I need a number, I chose 70 because it's my birth year.
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: About your username - 09/03/04 11:25 PM

I guess I'm like Tom and Joyce. No imagination whatsoever. Maybe that happens with a name that ends with OTT.

Bob
Posted By: Tom and Joyce Abbott

Re: About your username - 09/03/04 11:34 PM

Bob,
OTT? Can't believe you picked up on that. Maybe somewhere back in the Abbott ancestry there was an Abb Ott. Maybe we are related. smile
Posted By: Gebby

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 12:46 AM

My last name is Gebhardt and when I was in my teens my nickname was Gebby. Gebby was used up when I signed up for an email address so I added my first initial to the end. So I thought I'd use the same concept for the forum.

Ken
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 01:00 AM

Coastie is the nickname for a Coast Guard person and I live in Florida, hence, flacoastie.
Posted By: DMancini

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 01:46 AM

I guess I'm another member of the "no imagination" club.

laugh
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 02:13 AM

I chose my user name to help me remember my name! (for 37 years, I was Tammy Husby)

In 1998 I had a house built next to Randy Wolfe. In 2000, we decided to get married. I sold my house and moved into his house. We were married in 2001 at Lake Tahoe in California. When I married Randy, I was going to keep my name. The pastor who married us told me that I could change my last name if I decided to when I got home. When I got home, I decided to change my name. I won't bore you with the details why.

Since we were in process of having a new home built together, I decided to wait to change my name until I had to do my address change. (I had moved twice in four years, and I subscribe to a lot of magazines.) Anyway, when I joined the forums, I'd just started to go by Tammy Wolfe.

If you've ever sent me e-mail,now you know what my e-mail address means. I haven't bothered to change it yet...
Posted By: eskilady

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 02:38 AM

My user name comes from the fact that my daughter and I raise American Eskimo dogs - known affectionately as Eskies. And since I am sometimes a lady - I am Eskilady. wink
Posted By: bright eyes

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 03:44 AM

Looking at the lighthouse, the beacon/lens is the focal point, "the bright eye" of the lighthouse.

The eye is one of the focal points of a person, and most have two eyes, hence;

bright eyes wink
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 04:02 AM

Mary, and I always thought it was a "sweet nickname" that Herm gave to you. :rolleyes: I think it would fit... cool
Ruthie smile
Posted By: mombo

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 05:27 AM

Mombo is a name that my daughter's high school cross country coach gave me for some unknown reason. Linda's the only one who still calls me that, except now you folks of course! smile
Posted By: Grover

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 05:30 AM

Well,

... Not for the 22nd and 24th President of the US
... Not for the old Phillie, Cub and Cardinal
... Not for Bert and Ernie's pal
... and Not for the town where Mr. Welles landed his Martians ...

No, I am who I am for the namesake of my hometown, Ocean Grove (NJ), a national historic district, affectionately known as God's Square Mile.

I signed onto another site using my first and middle names. I then forgot my password, never figured out how to retrieve it, and recreated myself as Grover.

I kind of liked it ...

Barry
Posted By: MelJB

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 06:59 AM

Mel short for Melody (and what most folks call me smile )
J for my maiden name Jones
and B for my married name Barnhart
Posted By: Elmer

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 11:36 AM

When I registered quite some time ago we were having lots of wabbit pwobwems in our garden. I chose to take the name of that wascawwy wabbit hunter, Elmer (Fudd, that is). eek

That's all folks, heeeeeeeeee ........

Dan
Posted By: Shortcake

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 11:52 AM

Well now, :rolleyes: how about I let someone else tell you how I got my name. As I'm sure that everybody who has ever seen me can tell you the answer. laugh

But I'll give you a clue: 4' 10”.

Shortcake has been my CB handle ever since I first started driving trucks for a living back in 1979. And sense I first got started in Construction by driving a truck on an industrial construction job the CB handle became my Jobsite nickname.

It's been a good one for me all these years, so I just didn't see any need in changing!
Posted By: Bob M

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 12:25 PM

I guess mine is kind of obvious. I'm an original member and most everyone back then used a form of their name for their screen name. Not as creative as some of the great handles on the CF, but it's me.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: bonnebert

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 03:15 PM

Bonnebert-- this one probably stumped you -- it's a nickname from my high school friends. My first car was a Pontiac Bonneville convertible, my maiden name is Liberto. It started as Bonneville Bert, and later was shortened to Bonnebert. Those friend still use my nickname.

Joyce
Posted By: Digger

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 04:18 PM

I am superintendant for the 65acre municipal cemetery in Bremen, IN. Which I might add is the most beautiful, well manintained cemetery in the United States!!!! The proper title for my position is "Sexton" (look it up). I wanted to change it a little and use Ton-of-Sex for my username but Becky laughed and said "that would be the day", so I decided to use Gravedigger instead.
Posted By: sandy

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 05:44 PM

Another unimaginative handle!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: About your username - 09/04/04 06:13 PM

Well my story goes way way back, 1989 to be exact. I was know by my friends as the weasel, casue I was small and could almost always think of a way to get us out of trouble. Well when I joined my first BBS, Weasel was already taken so I chose Wyllde Weasel. My user number was 58 and when the BBS sysop changed operating systems the new setup only allowed 8 character user names, so I chose Weasel58 to let people know which Mustelidae I was. laugh For those wondering what a Mustelidae is, it the family name for Weasels, IE otters, minks, ferrets, badgers, etc. :p
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: About your username - 09/05/04 01:58 AM

I started to hike the mountains of New Hampshire, way back in 1949 and have been at it since. When I'm not out looking at and for lighthouses, I love to get to the Mountains. BobM can tell you that my license plate also read MTNHKR.

Bert smile
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: About your username - 09/05/04 03:27 AM

My name is John Chidester, so mine is also just a shortened name.

But back in the AOL days, I had my last name as my AOL name (still do on AIM) and many people apparently throught that it meant I 'chided' people so like a 'jokester' they thought I was a 'chide-ster'

For those who don't know, it's pronounced 'CHID-ess-ter' the first sylable rhymes with 'hid', not 'hide'.
Posted By: Bob48

Re: About your username - 09/06/04 05:20 PM

Well, Bob was taken. How could that be??? So I just added my birth year. I hate to try to remember a lot of different user names, but with a common name you may have to.
Posted By: pierhead

Re: About your username - 09/06/04 09:12 PM

St Joe and Grand Haven will always have a special place in my heart. With both of those having pierhead lights it was an easy name choice.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: About your username - 09/06/04 10:55 PM

I knew the stories behind some of the names, but it is always fun to learn more. As Paul Harvey would say, "Now for the rest of the story. . . ."

I fall into the un-imaginative crowd. As Bob encountered, just plain Dave was taken (though no one has ever posted with that name) so I added the first initial of my last name. I have fun with my avatars.

Re: About your username - 09/07/04 01:29 AM

Dave,

Does it mean that you are a spook or a spy when you're not collecting lighthouses?

Bob

Re: About your username - 09/07/04 02:44 AM

Spent 20 years Active and Reserve time in the spy business.

Re: About your username - 09/07/04 04:26 AM

Dave,

Good for you. My past may be similar to yours, because for four years I ran background investigations and granted security clearances - among other things. I know that the last two words are an oxymoron, but I spent that time in a branch of service called Army Intelligence.

Bob cool
Posted By: Shirin

Re: About your username - 09/07/04 12:38 PM

Shirin means sweet in Persian and my last initial is P for Pagels. My father has always called me Sweet P for the above and it just kind of stuck. Hd to add the sweetp part in front of shirin when I went to create a Yahoo email address years ago so when I signed up for the forums I kept the same login to keep things easier on myself.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: About your username - 09/08/04 03:01 AM

Mine is also from the result of a user name for yahoo. I tried Eric and Eric plus my birthyear etc.. I wanted to keep it simple...so since I had becomed very interested in lighthouses, I tried ericlighthouse and yahoo accepted it. smile
Posted By: ktamlin

Re: About your username - 09/09/04 01:11 AM

My user name came about due to the fact that there is more one John on the Forum. Since I live in La Porte, IN I thought LPJOHN would fit the bill.

My wifes user name if the first letter of her first name (Karen) and our last name.
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: About your username - 09/09/04 01:31 AM

Easy - sense I am always hunting for lighthouses,
I am a Beacon follower! laugh
Posted By: Fetz

Re: About your username - 09/09/04 07:10 AM

I am new here, and fairly new to light house collecting, and enjoy visiting the real thing even more. We recently visited all but one of the accessible lighthouses on the Oregon Coast. My name Fetz is an old pen name of mine from 30 years ago.
Glad to meet you all,Daryl

Re: About your username - 09/09/04 03:40 PM

Glad to meet you, and welcome to the Collector Forums, Daryl. Sounds like you had a fun adventure in Oregon. Love those lights along the coast! Have any pictures to share with us in the Map Room forum?
Posted By: Elmer

Re: About your username - 10/09/04 02:59 PM

Hi Daryl (Fetz),

Glad to get new folks on the Forums who have a love of lighthouses. It would be nice if you could post and share some of your Oregon photos. Carol & I would like to drive the West Coast sometime .... maybe in 2005 to visit the lights ourselves. What was your favorite light and experience on your trip?

Dan smile smile
Posted By: Nauset_Light_2004

Re: About your username - 10/10/04 07:46 AM

One of my favorite lighthouses and also the one closest to home!
Posted By: beachbum1616

Re: About your username - 10/11/04 04:19 AM

I am not exactly sure how "beachbum" came about, but it sounded good and fit. 16 is my favorite number and to get an email address with beachbum I had to add more to it. One 16 wasn't enough so I added another and it has been that way ever since.
Posted By: cclighthousebuff

Re: About your username - 10/22/04 02:22 AM

I'm not telling! It is a deep secret. Even my wife doesn't recognize it. wink Regards from Cape Cod. cool

Re: About your username - 10/22/04 02:29 AM

DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT'S FAIR? Maybe, maybe not. But I fully respect your right to privacy.

bobo
Posted By: sandy

Re: About your username - 10/22/04 02:56 AM

Now, let's see. . .Cape Cod Lighthouse Buff appears to fit. . .but maybe not??!! wink wink
Posted By: seagirt

Re: About your username - 10/22/04 03:03 AM

Hey, Stephen, it must be a funny coincidence or something, but your Member Number is one of the very last to begin with 16..#1691...funny.
© 2024 Collector Forums