LighthouseKeepers.com

New Look 2004

Posted By: Webmaster

New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 05:29 PM

Yep, your eyes weren't deceiving you -- there's a new look for 2004 to YOUR Collector Forums.

That logo up top is based on a photo by member Jenifer Selwa of Fremont MI and pictures California's Point Cabrillo Lighthouse.

Jen, how about telling us the details on how you came to be in the right spot at the right time to take this picture plus all the techno details.

Did you know that if you click on that logo image at the top of any page on the Collector Forums it will take you to the 'home page' where all the various Fora are listed by category?
Posted By: eskilady

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 05:37 PM

What a nice change! Not that I didn't like the other pictures but this is a nice change! Beautiful pictures!!! But what is "fora"? smile

Eskilady
Posted By: Dave H

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 05:45 PM

Very nice look. Wondering when the annual "changing of the pictures" was going to happen. Thanks Jen for sharing the pictures.
Posted By: DMancini

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 05:51 PM

Great job with the photos, Jen! And congrats!

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eskilady:
But what is "fora"? smile

Eskilady
The 'latin' plural of 'Forum'. Or is it the latin singular of Forum? It's been a few decadents since my HS Latin.

Well now you got me thinking perhaps the name of these things should be 'Collectors Forum'
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 05:55 PM

Thanks John! And to everyone for the great feedback. This was shot with a Nikon N90s (I no longer own it since I've converted to Canon) on Fuji Velvia 50 slide film, exposed at 40 with an 812 warming filter through a 28-70 wide angle Sigma lens. Time exposure was around 15-20 seconds; therefore you can see the movements in the clouds. I took this while on a four day jaunt to Northern California last March.

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 06:06 PM

Updated 1-17-04: Jen has done some PhotoShop work on her original image in order to make it fit the required dimensions for the logo art and as you can see, done a better job than I did when I tried to do that. Thanks Jen. Looks great.

Here's a version of the full frame image from Jen:

This is the print we'll be making available to those who chose to make a contribution to support the Collector Forums for 2004. More details about Jan 21.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 09:13 PM

This is the first thing that came into my mind when I saw this question:

Quote:
But what is "fora"?
A "fora" is the number after "threea"!

I couldn't resist....sorry.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: seagirt

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 10:16 PM

I like the new look! Nice and fresh!

Great photo, Jen! It looks great up there, as well as on all the post markers. I love it! laugh
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/16/04 11:23 PM

Great photo Jen. Nice new look John. A welcome surprise when I signed in. Looking forward to seeing this one on the wall in my room.

Posted By: flacoastie

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/17/04 12:28 AM

Outstanding photo Jen. The West Coast look is a different look from the Great Lakes. Maybe nex year it can be a Southern or Northeast look.
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/17/04 02:07 AM

Terrific shot Jen! I really like the new look smile
Posted By: MelJB

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/17/04 03:31 AM

What a lovely shot. I like the yellow and purply gray and blue. Different from the usual 'pink' sunrise/sunset shots you usually see. I like those too, but this is different.
Posted By: pierhead

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/17/04 10:48 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to see Point Cabrillo as the new Forum Picture. My wife and I were there in mid-November last year, and it was truly one of the highlights of the trip. We hadn't planned on going that far north, but one of Pam's friends had said Ft. Bragg was a pretty area. I of course quickly agreed to go as long as we stopped by Cabrillo. The job done by the preservation society there is phenomenal. We happened to "run" into the restoration coordinator/superintendent - he was very friendly and nice enough to inform us of what they were planning. They had just gotten a large grant to restore all the keeper's quarters for future B&B purposes, and they'll be rebuilding the barn for a small conference center.
Posted By: Ron

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/19/04 06:06 PM

Nice picture and nice change.
Posted By: TD

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/19/04 06:47 PM

Very nice picture. It would be nice to see a different lighthouse every month.
Posted By: Firstmate

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/19/04 10:24 PM

Fantastic picture, Jen. And thanks, John for the wonderful change.
How great to see the Point Cabrillo restoration project completed. We were there in 2000 and they were still collecting funds for the project. . .what a remarkable job!

cool 'Bama Boaters cool
Posted By: Gebby

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/21/04 05:17 AM

I'm with TD. I'd like to see a new one every month also. Great photo Jen. smile

Ken

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/21/04 06:04 AM

Quote:
A new one every month!?!?
Guess that'll have to be up to Jen and her schedule. smile Sorry, Jen I couldn't resist.

Maybe once a quarter.

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/21/04 06:20 AM

You can now support your collector forums for 2004. See this page for details:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000338
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/27/04 06:28 AM

The first time I saw Pt. Cabrillo was on my one year wedding anniversary in 1998. It was in a state of dissaray, with the lens completely disassembled in boxes to be shipped out for restoration. What a joy to see this light completely restored last March when I was out there!

As for the new photo every three months, I can certainly provide something, although most of my selections are from the Great Lakes area, since that is my place of residence... laugh
Posted By: seagirt

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/30/04 10:53 PM

I noticed the slight change with the "no new posts" indicator. I like the new shot, zoomed in on the lantern, more than the old one of the whole light!

Re: New Look 2004 - 01/31/04 01:51 AM

You're the first to notice the change, Greg.

Congratulations... you win a NEW CAR!

Jen did those new 'on' and 'off' images. Thanks Jen. Nice change.
© 2024 Collector Forums