LighthouseKeepers.com

Identity question

Posted By: grandmaR

Identity question - 03/22/07 07:29 PM

Where does one ask a question about the identity of a lighthouse? I have this postcard which has no writing on it to identify the lighthouse.

I know I've seen questions on the forums, but I can't find where they were posted, and when I posted this picture in the postcard forum, it was lost among the other pictures.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Identity question - 03/22/07 07:30 PM

Could it be Gay Head?

Re: Identity question - 03/22/07 07:31 PM

I don't know. The pictures I have of Gay Head are a little different. I don't even know what area of the country the card is from, or even if it is in the USA although it is in English.

On the back it says

POST CARD

Correspondence Address

And then a dashed line square with "Place stamp here" with an EKC logo at the top of the square.
Posted By: mombo

Re: Identity question - 03/22/07 09:26 PM

How about Sankaty? Your card shows that the lighthouse has a darker band in the middle.

http://www.lighthouse.cc/sankaty/index.html

Check the history and post card section above.

Post your questions wherever you think we can find them Rosalie! smile
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Identity question - 03/22/07 10:28 PM

I think Mombo's got it. If you look at this post card You can imagine changing the angle slightly to match the photo grandmaR posted above.

Gay Head is too short.
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Identity question - 03/22/07 11:07 PM

I think it's definetely Sankaty.

In addition to the lighthouses matching, the smaller buildings and shoreline from Rolalie's postcard match the postcards in the website Mombo posted.

Re: Identity question - 03/22/07 11:28 PM

OK thanks - looks good to me
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Identity question - 03/23/07 01:37 AM

My first impression was that the mystery Light was Sankaty. I've been there several times in the past but observed the light from the opposite direction. I have also viewed historic pictures while I was on Nantucket that lead me to believe it is in fact Sankaty.

smile Bob smile
© 2024 Collector Forums