LighthouseKeepers.com

Questions about new forum

Posted By: wvlights0

Questions about new forum - 12/13/10 09:04 PM

I have a couple and I bet I'm not the only one.
1. What's the Shout box?
2. Who or what is the " 1 spider" that is online line now?
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/13/10 09:50 PM

I just did Hello as a shout and I have no idea what happened, Laura..

Happy Holidays, Laura!

Attached picture Hatteras_Tree.jpg

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/13/10 10:38 PM

I like it Paul. I would have to have a regular tree also though...or be shot. :D

The spider is still here. He wasn't in here last night.

Once I put something in the shout box, then I could see your hello. Not sure what it could be used for.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/13/10 10:55 PM

All we have to do is put the star away and clean up after the reindeer when Christmas is over..
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/14/10 07:04 AM

Spiders are search company robots. It's just letting us know that in addition to people, there are 'bots.

I think the shout box is a kind of group IM. Maybe a "post" that anyone anywhere can see when they are registered and logged in.

It does appear that in order to see pictures posted under the new system and some of the features of this system, it will be necessary for registered users who remained logged in all the time to log off and log back in again.

We're still learning...
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/14/10 01:50 PM

And what happened to the Trading Post forum ???

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/14/10 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

It would be helpful to explain what you see about the Trading Post Forum that makes you ask that question.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/14/10 02:26 PM

I don't see it either John. There are 10 forums under "Collecting" and the Trading post is not there.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/14/10 03:16 PM

Please log off the Collector Forums, close your browser and reload the browser and log in. I believe this will clear up the problem.

See my Shout Box note about this. (Maybe this is not appearing for you, either -- but should when you log back in.
Posted By: docsweetie

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/14/10 04:16 PM

Is there a reason I am not seeing the Masthead photo?

Carol

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/14/10 04:34 PM

I haven't figured out how to install it.

You may note the line at the top of every page "This is where top of every page content goes." I was able to figure out how to put that text there -- just haven't gotten around to figuring out how to put the picture there.

frustrated

Patience...

OK, We got that one fixed and Paul has posted another snow picture of OMC. groupwave
Posted By: rgurskey

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/14/10 11:33 PM

I see lots of little boxes with red Xs. I also think the text in messages should be left justified (like a book) and not center justified. That makes messages look like announcements found on telephone poles.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 12:08 AM

Are you still seeing the red-x's?

Try logging out, shutting down the PC, rebooting and logging back in. If that doesn't work, please post a link to a thread that has these indicators.

I don't know of any type that is centered. All in the messages I see are left-justified. Is it in ALL the messages you see?

Thanks,
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 12:37 AM

All the Forums have little red Xs such as: Edit, Reply, quote, quick reply, quick quote, notify, email post,previous topic, view all topics,next topic,etc. Ialso logged out, closed down completely, logged in and also edited my profile. Still see a lot of red Xs. Sort of like when you get an email ad and they tell you to click here to view all pictures. But, there is no place to click on the Forums that I can see.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 01:12 AM

You may need to clearing out your cache on your computer, Rich. What web broswer are you using Rich?

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Webmaster
Originally Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

It would be helpful to explain what you see about the Trading Post Forum that makes you ask that question.

Sorry thought my question was obvious.

Thank you John for all the hard work with the upgrade. While It feels a bit strange, I will get used to it in time.

Thanks to all those involved in the upgrade !!!

waytogo

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 01:26 PM

And are you seeing the Trading Post Forum now?

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Webmaster
And are you seeing the Trading Post Forum now?

Yup !!! Logging out and logging back in didn't work at first, but eventually it was there. bow
Posted By: Digger

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 07:38 PM

I'm just disappointed that I got demoted to "member". What I get for disappearing now and then. Bummer.

(Edit) Oops, I see I magically got promoted with this post. I'm soooo confused!! Nevermind.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 09:10 PM

How could we demote a guy like YOU, Digger? We're still tweaking the software and learning how to do some things. Good to see you posted again!

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 09:43 PM

Yes John, good to be back. Figured I need to quit being such a couch hermit and start renewing friendships and making contact with old friends.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/15/10 11:51 PM

Did you get the 10th Anniversary HLClub DVD, Digger?
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/16/10 11:18 AM

Maybe the answer is already ready posted, but I haven't seen it. My head is still spinning trying to get ready for the closing on the Cape home this coming Monday. What do I do to post photos in a thread? Where is the area to upload the photos to? Is it like before in the old CF, or do you just click "browse" and pick your picture from your hard drive? I understand about resizing the photos to fit. Let me know, many thanks!

:) Bob

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/16/10 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: WackoPaul
Did you get the 10th Anniversary HLClub DVD, Digger?

Yes Paul, Thanks.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/16/10 12:48 PM

What are you guys talking about with the 10th Anniversary DVD?

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/16/10 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: flacoastie
What are you guys talking about with the 10th Anniversary DVD?
Paul put together a DVD about the 10th Anniversary of the Hoosier Lighthousing Club.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/16/10 03:51 PM

Ok, I thought it was put out by Harbour Lights.

Another subject and I'm sure you are aware of it but some members have not been sent the link to the new Forums. For a fact I know that Roland and Daniel were not sent the link and I have forwarded them the new link. I'm sure others have not been sent this link as Roland was still getting the Error message the the Forums were down. I called him about some Sky Bound balloons this morning and that's when he asked me about when we were coming back up

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/16/10 04:26 PM

I haven't sent the link to any members -- just a few saints as we are trying to get all the bugs out before I send a mass email.

You can get to this new area via these links:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com -- there's a link to the new site from there

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ -- the old area - there's a link there also

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forum/ -- the new location for the forums

The spiders have found us. Shouldn't take anyone more than 30 seconds to find us if they know about us.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/16/10 08:57 PM

I discovered the new site by clicking on the link that was provided on the error message.
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/17/10 12:41 AM

Finally found my way back...I was using the bookmarked link to the old forums, the one that bypassed the frame at the top, so I kept getting a 404 error...had to email John to realise the extent of the changes meant a whole new URL and file system!

But I made it back!

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/17/10 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob M
Maybe the answer is already ready posted, but I haven't seen it. My head is still spinning trying to get ready for the closing on the Cape home this coming Monday. What do I do to post photos in a thread? Where is the area to upload the photos to? Is it like before in the old CF, or do you just click "browse" and pick your picture from your hard drive? I understand about resizing the photos to fit. Let me know, many thanks!

:) Bob

Click on the FAQ link top right of each page. You'll find the step-by-step instructions there. Different from the old way - easier and you can upload up to 5 at a time.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/17/10 09:27 PM

The Titles "Saint" and "Cruise Director" have been reinstated after the the software update.

"Saints" are pioneers to the Collector Forums who have made major contributions of time and efforts over the years.

"Cruise Directors" are the title we give to Moderators of one or more Forums.

These titles appear with the individual's posting information. The name "Moderator" is still used by the software to indicate the person who is monitoring a given forum.
Posted By: mombo

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/18/10 12:17 AM

I like the way some of us registered on New Year's Eve in 1969. Must have been quite a party, one I don't remember...

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/18/10 02:32 AM

And a real tough thing to do, considering there was no World Wide Web in 1969.

That and information on individual's date of last post seems to have been lost in the transition.
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/18/10 04:07 AM

Quote:
I like the way some of us registered on New Year's Eve in 1969. Must have been quite a party, one I don't remember...

My guess is that maybe you all are "time travelers" from 1969 and the rest of us just came across this site! Thanks for letting us join such a great group.
groupwave
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/18/10 03:36 PM

I have quite a story about where and what I was doing on New Years 1969, and I'm pretty sure it didn't involve Lighthouses.
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/18/10 07:16 PM

Okay Bob, I'll bite...what is the story??? whistling
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/19/10 12:27 AM

This will have to be one of those stories told on one of those days/nights at Heceta Head, Ruthie.
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/22/10 03:39 PM

Interesting, I noticed that several people have used an emotioncon that is the red head banging against a wall in the Welcome forum. However, I don't believe that was their intention. When I roll my cursor over that emotioncon it says "Welcome"??? Rather bazaar for a welcome don't you think?

Also what is a "Junior Member"?

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/22/10 05:00 PM

Thanks, Melody -- I'll look into the "Welcome" icon.

Junior Member - that would be a "Newbie" now -- someone from 0-49 posts.

Anyone who sees a "Junior Member" label, please send me a private email. I may need to change those one-by-one.

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/22/10 07:53 PM

The "Welcome" icon (welcome) problem arose because the "frustrated" icon (frustrated) had the text name ": welcome :" for a day or two. It was corrected a couple of days ago.

Anyone who has used the "Welcome" smiley can change it to the correct one by simply clicking on Edit and then on Submit -- no need to do any real editing.
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Questions about new forum - 12/23/10 03:44 PM

Thanks John!

Re: Questions about new forum - 01/10/11 03:39 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Calendar function? It would be a nice place to put Challenges, etc. When I tried to put in a test event, the only option was a "private" event. That would make it a personal calendar. Is it possible to add a "public" event option?

Re: Questions about new forum - 01/10/11 04:05 PM

I added a "test event" and saw a drop down link on the "Private" function which also allowed me to choose "Public". Try again and tell me if you can't see the choice between Private and Public.

I couldn't find any function in the Control Panel that would allow me to determine who could post Public / Private messages on the Calendar.

Re: Questions about new forum - 01/10/11 04:39 PM

I only get the private option. I put a test event in Jan 11th. Can you see it? Maybe only moderators can post public events. There could be some logic behind that.

Re: Questions about new forum - 01/10/11 07:02 PM

Nope, I can't. I'll investigate further.

Re: Questions about new forum - 01/10/11 08:25 PM

I found a whole new Control Panel area called "Site Permission"

I've set the controls over various services and functions as follows:

View Profiles - users/not guests
Create Public Calendar Events - users/not guests
Search The Site - users/not guests
Email Posts to Others - users/not guests
See the Shoutbox - users/not guests
View the Member List - users/not guests
See Extra User Info - Moderators/not users/not guests (such as IP Address, referring page)

The Calendar would be appropriate for lighthouse and Harbour Lights related events. Birthdays and Anniversaries as you wish. Past Harbour Lights Reunions, the 2011 Cruise to Alaska, etc.

I'll look to the Saints and Users to populate the Calendar and verify the accuracy of the information posted there.

To View the Calendar, click on the Calendar link center of every page just below the banner.
© 2024 Collector Forums