LighthouseKeepers.com

Storing Pictures

Posted By: fra02441

Storing Pictures - 05/24/06 04:57 PM

I was hoping all you guys can help. With so many pictures from my digital camera how is the best way to store them. I have put the RAW on DVD and after saving for JPG and Fixing I put them on CD(faster to load). Should I get some kind of external hard drive. I just got back from Door County and filled 4 gigs with pictures. It is taking some time to put on DVD & CD. I have to remove some from files on my computer, running out of room with all those files. When I need to find a certain picture it takes a while to find on my CDs I do mark them with names but having so many and adding more and more. Help!!!!
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Storing Pictures - 05/24/06 08:40 PM

You can get a USB external hard drive very reasonably if you watch the sales. There seem to be two physical sizes - a smaller footprint that would be pretty easy to carry with you (runs about $100 for 40-60 gigs at Sams Club) or a larger footprint that will hold 100 gig and up. I have one that is a 160 gig version that cost me $80 after sale price and rebates on Black Friday. Watch the big box electronic and computer stores and they seem to pop up on sale on a regular basis. I have seen them in the 200-300 gig range.

You do want to be sure your computer is running USB2 / fast USB. Some may also use firewire.

If your moving to CD ?DVD is that slow, perhaps an investment in a new, faster writing drive would be an option. Internal ones are pretty cheap (wll <$100) and external ones seem to be around $100 for DVD+/- RW.
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Storing Pictures - 05/24/06 08:41 PM

Just bought 500gb Western Digital external hard drive from buy.com for $250.
web page It's was on sale.
Pretty nifty black box.
It's replacing and backing up my 160gb 2 1/2 year old external.
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Storing Pictures - 05/24/06 08:53 PM

I back them all up on CDs, because that's all I've got, and I don't need to store the photos at all times.

A few months ago, I got a Maxtor Onetouch II 200GB external drive. Didn't work out of the box, and I wasn't able to return it. Apparently, others have this problem, so DON'T buy a Maxtor. Wouldn't keep my files on the HD.

I am obsessive about my backups. Each photo will find itself on several CD backups - a disc for every trip, a disc of backup before erasing a CF card, and a My Pictures backup every now and then. It's a lot of CDs, but it helps me feel better that I won't lose photos. I also want to make a couple DVDs if I can with backups of ALL my photos, and put it in the fireproof safe.

I still want to get another HD to put the photos on, as well as all my music (I have 5GB worth right now, and I don't need it on my computer all the time - that's why I got an iPod) and any other large downloads. I'd like to cut it down to having just programmes, basic Office documents, and maybe a "favourites" photo selection on my computer at all times.

It seems like Seagates and Western Digitals are good HDs. After I figure out what to do with the one I have now, I'll probably get one of those.
Posted By: fra02441

Re: Storing Pictures - 05/25/06 03:55 PM

I was looking into the Western Digital. Is it easy to use. Thanks for all the help. I also make backups of all my disks. My husband thinks I am crazy. We fight over the computer. I am spending all my free time since I got back from Door County checking out my pictures. Then sending to Costco to develope the ones I want. I am going blind looking at the computer. Its what I love. I have many CD and DVDs.
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Storing Pictures - 05/25/06 07:02 PM

The key is always having multiple backups. Different media is also a key. But remember dvds and cds also have limits too.
I'm in the process of digitizing 12 years of sound super 8 film. My first 2 hours from the vendor are outstanding (1975-1986). I will then be putting it on the disk drive for easy access but will have dvds, minidv tape, and the original film as my masters.
I have the same set up with my digital photos. CDs and disk drive for access.
© 2024 Collector Forums