LighthouseKeepers.com

Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands)

Posted By: Arent

Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/25/06 09:16 AM

A couple of years ago (I think it was 1999) Bill Younger asked me to collect information about Dutch lighthouses, as he wanted to produce one for Harbour Lights. He decided to produce the Marken light, so I arranged drawings etc. from the responsible authorities (Departement of Public Works and Water Management). Since then I never heard of the Marken light being ever produced. My question is: is the Marken light available in the Harbour Light collection?

Yours sincerely,

Arent van der Veen, The Netherlands

marken.vuurtorens.net
http://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/ijg/water/vaarwegen/vuurtorens/index.jsp
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/25/06 01:44 PM

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but your lighthouse was never produced by Harbour Lights. It may still be in the planning stages but I'm not privy to that information. Bill Younger and his family have sold the business to Lighthouse Marketing located in Wells, Maine. You may be able to find out additional information by contacting Anthoney J. Constantino(Director of Sales & Marketing) at tconstantino@harbourlights.com. I hope this information will help you.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/25/06 04:46 PM

It is not unheard of for all the information to be gathered by Harbour Lights and the Lighthouse never produced. You sound like me, identifying a couple of years ago with 1999. Back then, Harbour Lights was producing lighthouses of other countries. With sales dropping and foreign lights not being as popular as Harbour lights hoped for, they have kept pretty much to just US Lights and territories.
I agree with Rich
Contact HL. Maybe they could at the least make the Dutch lighthouses in a Little Light Of Mine.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/25/06 11:06 PM

Marken Light by Harbour Lights appeared on one of the calendars back a few years ago, leading to speculation it would be coming that year.

Never did show up in the product line.

Perhaps someone here has that calendar and can scan and post the image.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/26/06 01:02 AM

I always felt the International Series offered some great HL's. Unfortunately, those HL's were never big sellers as far as I can tell.

Who knows...

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/26/06 02:41 AM

I agree with you, Bob.

An International Series would definitely be beneficial to the Harbour Lights collection of beautiful lghthouses.

bobo
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/26/06 05:06 AM

I was wondering what Marken Light looked like...

Photo 1

Photo 2

Lighthouse Depot Explorer Database
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/26/06 12:26 PM

That is an awesome light.
No wonder harbour Lights was interested in Making it.
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/26/06 02:15 PM

That would make a great HL lighthouse. Very different from the rest.

I don't currently own any of the international HL lighthouses, but that could change. Especially if some interesting new foreign lights are produced. In addition to this one, I would like to see the lighthouse on the Isle of Jersey become a HL model. smile

If the sale weren't that good from the past ones, there's not much chance HL will revisit making more. frown
Posted By: kikigl

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/26/06 03:53 PM

Thanks for the link, Dave. Awesome pictures!
Posted By: mombo

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/26/06 05:58 PM

Wasn't there an HL or PC number assigned for this one? So there was/is a numerical gap? Unless I'm thinking of another light that wasn't produced?
Posted By: Danny

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/26/06 11:32 PM

I have the calendar with the HL prototype lighthouse photo. If no one can produce it beforehand, I'll get my brother to scan it when I see him around the middle of October.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/27/06 12:19 AM

What year is the calendar, Danny?
Posted By: Danny

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/27/06 12:41 AM

I'm here at the University Library and the calendar is home, so I'll try to have an answer for you tomorrow.
Posted By: Arent

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/27/06 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
What year is the calendar, Danny?
I think it is the calender of 2000. I own the calender.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Marken Lighthouse (The Netherlands) - 09/27/06 02:49 PM

We've been most fortunate to have some great pics of international lights displayed at the CF. I think the foreign lights are so interesting to see. I wish there were more offered by Harbour Lights, but realize that not everyone feels this way. The bottom line is how many they could actually sell and make a decent profit. Past experience puts international lights on the "Not-so-best-sellers" list. It's a shame, but a fact of life. I know I would purchase them for my collection.

smile Bob smile
© 2024 Collector Forums