LighthouseKeepers.com

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ??

Posted By: flacoastie

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 05/31/15 04:19 PM

you have probably watched or heard about the show on television called WHAT WOULD YOU DO where normal people are made aware of a situation that is wrong or illegal put on by actors. They interview real people who have taken action or completely ignored what went on for their reasons they did what they did.

I was talking to another collector the other day and we were discussing what we would do if lighthouses were ever to become a popular collectibles again and Harbour Lights were to ever start producing lighthouses again. Would we start collecting again?

My answer was as long as I was assured that the collectible lighthouse that was produced was extremely limited in quantity (300 to 1000), was in a price range of between $75.00 to $100.00, only 3-4 LIMITED EDITIONS were produced each year, they were sold direct or only had 2-3 dealers involved, I could get my same number for each piece, and they were of the same quality as the original Harbour Lights lighthouses I would probably start again. The other collector indicated that they could not see wasting any more money on something that would not maintain it's value as his collection is only worth about 25% of what he has invested and he was not going to go that route again.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO if Harbour Lights actually came back into business and they actually learned from their previous mistakes (overproductions such as 10,000 of each piece, too many issues a year such as 25 pieces, Open Editions, too many different products, etc.)? Would you start buying again? Inquiring minds in the sleepy, hot, dry, Horse Capital of the World would like to know. If you haven't posted anything for a while this is your chance to make your feelings known.
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 06/01/15 04:26 AM

I'm in... I'd pick up collecting them again right away as soon as there available.

The value of our Harbour Lights are not what we can sell them for...but how much they mean to us. Mine are priceless !!!
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 06/03/15 03:45 PM

I would finish up my south of the border collection. If the ones that I already purchased from HL went up in value, I would start selling off all my northern, great lakes, and California lights, except for the first 17.
I would only collect the southern lights and those I have visited. would not collect Christmas pieces or Fresnel lens, unless they were extremely limited in production.
Posted By: akmn

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 06/05/15 06:05 PM

Our love of HL has never died. We still display them proudly and add missing pieces from Ebay occasionally. I would echo Rich's comments in keeping quantities low and prices under $100.00 I would add, that the community, whether it be on the forums or Facebook should be allowed to steer which lighthouses are produced so that they would actually sell!

We miss the thrill of opening a brand new lighthouse and the would welcome the chance to start collecting again! We don't collect as an investment but as a love for the product!
Posted By: Rusty

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 06/09/15 12:24 AM

Would like to start collecting again. If they cranked it up again I would be in.
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 06/19/15 07:06 PM

Yes, as long as I didn't have to commit to buying every piece, which is the way I was collecting before)
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 06/21/15 06:33 AM

I would start buying the line again, especially if they had smaller edition sizes and fewer releases in a year. I like the Christmas, Lens and Anchor Bay subsets and would be interested, if they are a part of the regular years production, maybe only one of those a given year in rotation.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 06/21/15 03:47 PM

Considering the Forums is not as active as it used to be there seems to be a strong indication that there are still people interested in lighthouses (Harbour Lights). Would a company like Spencer Collins make it again if they started producing? Probably not as they never had the strong showing that Harbour Lights had. Would a new company make it that has never produced lighthouses before? It's anybody's guess.
Posted By: RMau

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 06/23/15 12:42 AM

It depends. Certainly not everything again. Maybe a piece here and there that fits into the small display I've managed to maintain. But there are too many boxes full of Harbour Lights on the top shelf of the closet to consider a full-fledged return to collecting.

In my view, today old Harbour Lights have great personal value to their owners, but pretty much no monetary value. If they become available again I hope that the caveats mentioned in this thread are taken seriously by the new producer.

Rick
Posted By: The Cape Cod Store.com

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 08/02/15 08:54 PM

Hmmmm, only two or three dealers. Would one of them be The Cape Cod Store.com? I'd be interested, that's for sure. If we could just keep them off Ebay though...
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? - 09/17/15 11:54 PM

Well for one, I would request LLOM for the reef lights as none were never made (despite my begging for at least one or two). And of course Sombrero Key Lighthouse LE the only reef lighthouse never made. And yes I would buy some (still underemployed after 8 years).
© 2024 Collector Forums