LighthouseKeepers.com

Flag # missing

Posted By: MelJB

Flag # missing - 05/09/07 04:58 AM

This weekend during the Harry Hine signing events something out of the ordinary happened.

First, Bill & Judy Newblom found an Old Presque Isle, MI HL332 Friday evening at Colorado Stationers that had no flag#. The box was numbered in the 300's (I think 358).

Then on Saturday at Gift House, I found an Avery Point that had no flag#, while the box was numbered 641.

What are the chances of finding in the same weekend, not one, but two HLs that did not get numbered, plus they were 2 different HLs, and 2 different stores?

Of course we were quite excited to add these HLs to our collections!
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Flag # missing - 05/09/07 11:42 AM

Quote:
What are the chances of finding in the same weekend, not one, but two HLs that did not get numbered, plus they were 2 different HLs, and 2 different stores?
Sounds like you found a rare variation/exception to me. Then it makes you wonder if it may have be done on purpose, or by mistake. Should it be considered a "slip up" by quality control, or a well place mistake to bring back the thrill of the hunt.

Congrats on your find!

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Flag # missing - 05/09/07 02:56 PM

What was Harry's reaction?

Re: Flag # missing - 05/10/07 04:21 AM

Kind of hard to tell Harry's reaction. Granted he was surprised when the first was found. When the second showed up he explained to Bill & others how the numbering process takes place and how missing numbering a piece could happen if the worker were distracted. Unfortunately, I was paying for the piece and didn't hear the discussion.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Flag # missing - 05/10/07 11:34 AM

I still say it is a great find and should be worth more than the average HL of the same model number.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: Flag # missing - 05/13/07 11:36 PM

Actually Harry laughed after being quite surprised that the flag had no number. He did say that mistakes do happen but it is quite rare. It was especially funny after he had just finish discussing with Bill the quality control process in the manufacturing plant in China.

Since we didn't win a gold we figured we at least acquired a rare piece that we hadn't planned on.

Judy
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: Flag # missing - 05/14/07 01:16 AM

Good for you, Judy. Good for you.

bobo
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Flag # missing - 05/14/07 03:53 AM

Actually I think there could be three ways that a lighthouse could end up with no number.

1. The factory actually misses a number and sends out a blank flag.
2. A replacement piece is issued for a damaged light and the replacement never gets numbered
3. or a blank extra piece accidentally gets given away at a event drawing.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Flag # missing - 05/14/07 02:10 PM

I started to think about this on the way to work.
My scenario stated above is mainly for the past three to four years.
Before that sometimes an Artist proof would show up at a dealer with out a number or AP on it. Usually from a sales rep. I have a 2003 Sand Key that I purchased from a dealer, without a letter or number. I know it is an artist proof because it has the AP sticker under it. In addition, there were other lighthouses there with the AP on the flag.

Re: Flag # missing - 05/14/07 11:55 PM

Daniel posted
Quote:
Actually I think there could be three ways that a lighthouse could end up with no number.

1. The factory actually misses a number and sends out a blank flag.
2. A replacement piece is issued for a damaged light and the replacement never gets numbered
3. or a blank extra piece accidentally gets given away at a event drawing.
I believe my Avery Point piece falls into category #1, as it does not have an AP sticker, was sitting in the dealer's display cabinet for sale.
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: Flag # missing - 05/16/07 12:43 AM

Ditto for ours as well.
Bill and Judy
© 2024 Collector Forums