LighthouseKeepers.com

Hog Island Lens Glowing In Portsmouth

Posted By: bonnebert

Hog Island Lens Glowing In Portsmouth - 11/06/03 04:45 PM

Something new to check out if you are visiting in the Hampton Roads area.

Fresnel Lens

The ferry terminal/landing is not too far from the Portsmouth lightship. Robert and I are going to try to check this out maybe over the weekend.

Joyce
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Hog Island Lens Glowing In Portsmouth - 11/06/03 05:18 PM

IMPRESSIVE!

smile
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Hog Island Lens Glowing In Portsmouth - 11/06/03 06:16 PM

Cool! You can really appreciate the size of this lens when you look at the small person to the left in the photo... eek
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Hog Island Lens Glowing In Portsmouth - 11/06/03 06:38 PM

I've seen it at the Mariner's Museum, but I've got to make a side trip to see this.

They've done a great job at the waterfront in Portsmouth, and this is the icing on the cake!

Joyce, if you get there this weekend, let us know if the Portsmouth Lightship is now open for tours.
Thanks! smile

Judy
Posted By: mombo

Re: Hog Island Lens Glowing In Portsmouth - 11/07/03 01:06 AM

That is really neat Joyce! Thanks for posting the link to the story. Interesting that Anne Davis refers to the lens as a "she"! smile

The Coast Guard Historian's site has a set of photos on the lighthouse. (Scroll down to Hog Island.)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/LHVA.html

Wonder if any of the guys in that last photo are around to see the lens now????
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Hog Island Lens Glowing In Portsmouth - 11/07/03 01:26 AM

Thanks, Joyce, for the link to the article and that, as Bert put it, impressive photo.

Quote:
Interesting that Anne Davis refers to the lens as a "she"!
posted by Mombo.

That is good food for thought, Mombo. I had to stop and think for a moment and I can't remember anyone ever referring to non-living things that our lives revolve around as a "he". Everyone always refers to things as "she". Boats, cars, motorcycles, etc. are usually referred to as "she".

cool Bob cool
Posted By: wheland

Re: Hog Island Lens Glowing In Portsmouth - 11/07/03 06:08 AM

Bob,

You seem to be forgetting about "Herbie" the Love Bug.

Although I grant you that usually objects like this are referred to as "she", I'm sure there are other examples.

Dennis
© 2024 Collector Forums