LighthouseKeepers.com

Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday

Posted By: Webmaster

Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 10/28/99 04:15 AM

If you live in the 'Thumb' area of Michigan or in Detroit & environs, A nice Sunday drive to Port Huron will allow you to help celebrate the lighthouse's 170th birthday (Actually Nov 1). The brick tower is 86' high and was the first lighthouse in Michigan. You'll be able to climb during the open house which runs from 1 to 4 PM Sunday. There will be other activities too - like civil war re-enactments. From the lighthouse, you have great views of Lake Huron and the St. Clair River and the new and old "Blue Water Bridges". One opened in the 30's the other a few years ago.

The last lightkeeper ended his duties at the station in 1946 when the signal was automated. Also occupying the park-like setting is a Coast Guard station. In fact, it adjoins "Lighthouse Park"

Information? Contact Lighthouse Historian Bob Hanford 810-982-3659 (Eastern Time). About 5,000 people a year visit the lighthouse.

As long as you're going, you might as well check out the HURON Lightship that's 'dry-docked' at Pine Grove Park.

Photo by my Mom - Zaida Chidester

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 10-27-99).]
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 10/28/99 02:34 PM

Is this a heads up on a upcoming HL!
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 10/28/99 03:01 PM

Nice job on the picture, Zaida!

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame
Posted By: drwhok9

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 11/01/99 05:04 AM

Just for you St. John - A report on the birthday for the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse

Beautiful Day - sunny, blue sky, no clouds.
Beautiful Day - temp. around 60, breeze off water a bit cool.
Beautiful Day - hundreds and hundreds of people (ages from 2 to 70) wandering around the grounds.
Beautiful Day - lovely bright red/orange sunset on the way home. I was sorry I was on the expressway and could not stop to take pictures of it.

I got to the lighthouse late, around 2:30pm (got lost and had to buy a Port Huron map in a bookstore to find my way around.) Many Coast Guard personnel around helping out. Some people dressed in clothing of the 1800's giving information about life at the lighthouse. Refreshments were gone early. Coast Guard Auxiliary people said the birthday cake, cookies, coffee, soda and popcorn was all gone one hour after the grounds were open. People were lined up at the gate starting around noon I was told.

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to climb the lighthouse tower. The line was very long the entire time I was there. It appeared to be about a 2 hour wait to get into the tower. Only 8 people were allowed up at a time because of the space inside and the narrow stairs. I did take close to 30 pictures which I hope to have this week. I will post the best here or on PhotoPoint.

Overheard - the Coast Guard will be giving up control of the lighthouse in about 3 years. People I heard talking did not know what was going to happen to the lighthouse. They thought maybe the city was going to own it then.

Small world dept. - while talking to one of the women handling the refreshments she asked where I was from. I told her Wixom, about an hour and a half drive away. She said she knew where that was as her daughter lived in Plymouth which is only 20 minutes from me. We both knew the cross streets/roads in Wixom and Plymouth near me and her daughter. You can't get away from anyone any more.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 11/01/99 06:07 AM

Jim-
So tell us, was it a nice day in Port Huron?

Glad you were able to enjoy. Too bad you couldn't get into the tower. With that many people there to enjoy the light hope that someone was recruiting for a preservation group!

Dave

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 11/01/99 07:09 AM

Thanks, Doc...

...I appreciate the report on what went on today at Fort Gratiot MI. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Regards,

John

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 11/02/99 04:46 AM

"With that many people there to enjoy the light hope that someone was recruiting for a preservation group!"

I did not hear anything mentioned about preservation of the lighthouse. There may have been something at the entrance of the tower which I did get to. There was some talk around the empty refreshment table about trying to get the Coast Guard to allow an open lighthouse day or weekend next spring or summer. The gentleman talking mentioned something about trying have businesses allowed on the grounds to sell lighthouse related items. It would then be suggested to the businesses that they give a part of their profits to a lighthouse preservation group if one could be set up by then. Lots of ideas, we will have to wait to see what happens.

Jim

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 11/04/99 02:31 AM

Photos selected from first roll developed. I did not want to overwhelm everyone by posting all 24 (including duplicates.)

See my photos of Fort Gratiot Lighthouse - Part 1 at PhotoPoint

Hope to have second roll finished this next weekend.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 11/04/99 02:56 AM

Thanks again for sharing your excellent photos Jim. I look forward to the second roll.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 11/04/99 05:35 AM

Great pics Jim. Thanks for sharing with us.

Dave

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 11/21/99 11:39 PM

Well here I go again. I had the last of the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse photos developed this weekend and here are a few of them.

See my photos of Fort Gratiot Lighthouse - Part 2 at PhotoPoint

Enjoy.
(There are more photos than in the two albums, but I just did not post all of them.)

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

Re: Fort Gratiot MI Open House Sunday - 07/04/00 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rscroope:
Is this a heads up on a upcoming HL!

Yes. I just couldn't tell you Bob.
© 2024 Collector Forums