LighthouseKeepers.com

Oak Island Lighthouse Climb

Posted By: rscroope

Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/08/06 06:41 PM

I ended my lighthousing by visiting Oak Island Lighthouse. Thanks to the Lighthouse Pixie, I was hooked up with some 'FOIL' Friends of Oak Island Lighthouse who allowed me to climb. What a great ending to my NC lighthouse adventure. I'll post pictures and info later. Just had to express my joy of this unique experience!
Bob laugh

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 01:08 AM

Friends of Oak Island Lighthouse
1100 Caswell Beach Road
Caswell Beach, NC 28465

910-278-1328
fax 278--5490

Oak Island LH
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 05:09 AM

Nice clean website. Thanks for the link, Bob.
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 05:41 AM

Way to go, Bob! You are right; that was a great way to end the trip. Thanks for the link!
Posted By: kikigl

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 04:24 PM

Saw Oak Island lighthouse on he way up to the Tidewater Event. Sure wish we had gotten to climb it.
I thought the area was really beautiful. I could easily have spent a week there!
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 04:36 PM

Caswell Beach is a really pretty area...esp. when you can stand on the beach and see Oak Island LH up close and Bald Head in the distance!

Bob, you got to climb a light that is not open to many. I've had a tour of the new CG building and have been inside the tower, but never have climbed. What a great way to wind up your trip!

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 04:55 PM

Price Creek from Ft Story Ferry

Oak Island Lighthouse

Starting Steep Climb On Stairs

Elevator??? Dumb Waiter for Tools & Materials

Interior Cement with Color Ring Pigment

View from Top Towards Beaches
Posted By: mombo

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 05:05 PM

Lucky you Bob to have gotten inside Oak Island. I was happy just to have seen it in March. I wasn't happy however that the fool developer lost my film that had my Oak Island photos. frown Didn't have my new digital yet and didn't bother taking the old one. Live and learn I guess.

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 05:16 PM

I didn't carry up my long lens so I didn't get much more than a shadow on the horizon view of Bald Head Island Lighthouse.
The 3 rings of color were done with pigmented cement so the lighthouse never has to be painted.
FOIL has a nice setup since the lighthouse was built in 1958. The newness & pigmented cement have been big pluses to maintenance of this lighthouse. Landscaping & keeping an eye on interior leaks are the big concerns.
One of the Board Members lives in the restored Keepers House just down the road.
There is only room for about 4 cars adjacent to the lighthouse and it is separate from the Coast Guard Base.
How many other LHs are the same diameter from bottom to top 16 feet 4 3/4 inches, done in one continuous pour for 6 days, and have a series of ships ladders with a total of 134 steps?
The Docents that were our hosts said the Coasties run up the steps and slide down the rails to get down. (Maybe next time?) The climb is very steep, and the decents seems steeper!
Caswell Beach - Very neat area! cool
Bob

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 05:24 PM

The people from FOIL now have liability insurance, and will accept appointments to view and climb the light. But you know how that is, go soon before the insurance company decides to multiply the costs.

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/14/06 05:30 PM

Thanks to all my friends here on the Forum who helped with shared hints, directions, recommendations, etc. which made our trip more predictable, and enjoyable. Thanks to Judy, Stephen, Derith, Gebby, Ron Drummer, and many more. laugh

Bob & MaryAnn
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/15/06 06:23 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures, Bob! That climb does look pretty steep - well worth it, I know. cool
Posted By: Brian

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/23/06 04:48 PM

I am glad you got to climb bob. Did they let you climb into the lantern room? It's dangerous but very cool. Those aero beacons are constantly turning, and you have to plaster yourself against the glass to be out of the way of them.

I am the webmaster for the Oak Island lighthouse. I saw you had some pictures from you tour. If you see any you like on www.oakislandlighthouse.org let me know, and i can email you the originals. I made them smaller for space and loading purposes.

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/24/06 03:44 PM

Nice site Brian! Only got to look up at lantern room.
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/24/06 08:54 PM

Great photos-just don't know about those stairs!
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/25/06 01:00 AM

I love that gremlin!
Judy
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/25/06 10:32 PM

Welcome Brian - very nice website. Thanks for joining us here at the CF
Posted By: Gebby

Re: Oak Island Lighthouse Climb - 07/28/06 03:14 AM

Bob, Looks like a weekend trip to the beach very soon. Thanks for the contact info. I had heard it was an interesting climb.

Ken
© 2024 Collector Forums