LighthouseKeepers.com

Hereford Inlet repainted

Posted By: Lighthouse Joe

Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/03/04 07:40 PM

Well, I took Monday off and drove the Mrs. and beagles to the shore for a walk on the beach. While I was there, I stopped off at Hereford Inlet and took a few shots. Man, is this color different...

All I can say is... It sure stands out.
Posted By: sandy

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/03/04 08:00 PM

Reminds me of what my kid's diapers looked like after feeding them pea soup!!

Aren't they supposed to duplicate the original color(s)? IS this supposed to be the original color? Yuk!! :p :p
Posted By: JCRice

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/03/04 09:38 PM

eek eek WOW!!! That's some color...I wonder if it glows in the dark... In a weird sort of way, I kinda like it. Don't ask me why...
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/03/04 09:57 PM

That mustard yellow sure stands out. Wow! eek Who picked that color?

BTW...you took some nice pics. I really like the view with bench.
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/03/04 10:37 PM

Pass the Grey Poupon...

I don't think the USLHS painted their lighthouses this color. I think that this is all a giant billboard for the mustard industry.

"Hey, honey, look at that lighthouse. It's painted just like mustard!"

"Oh, WE FORGOT THE MUSTARD! Turn around! Back to the store!!!"

Then again, maybe not, but it gave you a laugh, right?

I'm going to try to dig up a photo from the garden in the white era from the same perspective as Joe's for comparison. smile
Posted By: Lighthouse Joe

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/03/04 11:24 PM

Thanks all. From what I have read, mustard yellow was the original color. If so, WHAT HERE THEY THINKING?

Heres the previous color... very light beige with purple trim.

Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 12:32 AM

I like being historically accurate, but if that lighthouse was next door to me, I'd be calling a meeting of the community association!
Posted By: pierhead

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 01:30 AM

That is absolutely hideous. Might as well put some graffiti art up there as well.
Posted By: mombo

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 02:47 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos Joe. Actually I kind of like it. The details really stand out now. Maybe they will put a hot dog stand out front???? :rolleyes:
Posted By: Larry

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 03:10 AM

Posted By: akmn

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 04:06 AM

Joe, those are great photos! even if it is an interesting color.
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 04:21 AM

Maybe thery were going for the East Brother "yellowish Brown" and ended up with this oddball "Brownish Yellow?" confused
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 06:50 AM

It will look much better when all the trees come back and the shrub and flowers start blooming...
Ruthie smile
Posted By: keeperpam2

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 07:00 AM

Actually I kind of like that color. cool
It's different, but I could find it easier, than most lighthouses.
It's all good!
Posted By: eskilady

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 09:26 PM

Well, I have to admit that I like it. It is bright and cheery and should be alot easier to find than it had been. It stands out alot.

Eskilady

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/04/04 10:23 PM

I agree about easy to find. TOO easy to find. It stands out a bit too much...

I am trying to find a historical photo of the light to see if it was REALLY that color. I HIGHLY doubt it. This adds another chapter to my book, "101 Reasons Why I Hate Hereford Inlet Lighthouse". You all probably by now know my opinion of the light. If not, search "seagirt hereford inlet" and you should come up with my story. Not a happy one. frown

I agree about the hot dogs. Maybe, instead of giving you mustard, they could scrape a few flakes of paint off the light and put it on the hot dog. By the end of the season, it will be nice and white again! laugh
Posted By: mombo

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/05/04 12:08 AM

One problem with historical photos is that they come in black and white!

When I first read this thread I couldn't help but think of a house in my town. (Well, in town not in the boonies where I live.) It is painted bright yellow with white trim. Now it looks very nice and is certainly easy to spot, but I don't think I'd like to live across the street from it!

We also have some neighbors down the road a ways who have what I'd call an electric blue house. Kind of bright but no where near as much so as the yellow one!
Posted By: RFoster

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/05/04 02:18 AM

I like the new color. I think that white trim and dark green shutters would compliment nicely.

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/05/04 04:15 AM

I think this may be the way they used to do things. Just take a look at the color of the Indian River Lifesaving Station which is supposed to be the original color. Also, I just was reading an article earlier this week about the Lightship No. 83 which is now moored in Seattle as the Swiftsure (although it was actually only the Relief lightship which served on the Swiftsure Banks station for a short period of time). The article says it was painted "yellow" until the Coast Guard took over in 1939. Maybe other lights were also this color.

Larry

Re: Hereford Inlet repainted - 03/06/04 12:05 AM

Maybe.......... :rolleyes:

Hey, Sue, like the hot dog idea...scrape paint off the side a call it mustard...by the end of the season, there will be no yellow left! (I think that I'm not going to be able to stop with the mustard jokes for a while :rolleyes: )
© 2024 Collector Forums