LighthouseKeepers.com

BOSTON HARBOR LIGHT ARTICLE

Posted By: Lorraine Healy

BOSTON HARBOR LIGHT ARTICLE - 08/09/98 02:06 PM

There is a nice article in today's Boston Sunday Globe which can be read on-line at www.Boston.com. (I don't know how to include the hyperlink, but if anyone out there can explain it, I'd be grateful for some tips.)
Posted By: LamarB

Re: BOSTON HARBOR LIGHT ARTICLE - 08/09/98 03:28 PM

Thanks lots Lorraine. Enjoyable story.
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: BOSTON HARBOR LIGHT ARTICLE - 08/10/98 03:02 AM

>>I don't know how to include the hyperlink, but if anyone out there can explain it, I'd be grateful for some tips.

Hi Lorraine,

Use the URL Tag:
[url=...your link goes here...]...your link goes here...[/url]

For example: http://www.dogpile.com

The 'url tag' is specific to this forum software - its not HTML but the forum translates it to HTML - stuff in square brackets is 'UBB' code. You'll want to use the square brackets and not replace them with angled brackets as we would do if we were writing HTML.

Rgds,
__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA.]
Posted By: Lorraine Healy

Re: BOSTON HARBOR LIGHT ARTICLE - 08/11/98 04:08 AM

Ah, JTA, I was HOPING you'd come to my rescue! Of course, the story is no longer on the Boston Globe's website, but I saved it to my hard drive. Is there anyway I can build a link to that?

(I'm saving all these tips from the Planet Fresnel for future use!)
Thanks
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: BOSTON HARBOR LIGHT ARTICLE - 08/12/98 02:07 AM

Unfortunately, no. The page needs to be accessible through a web server. If you know someone with a web server who can make the page available, you can point to it with a URL which they would need to give you.

Then again, the material from the Boston Globe is probably copyrighted. Standard netiquette suggests its a good idea to get permission from the owner of a page before publishing it yourself.

Rgds,
__
/im [Phillip K. might ask: "do yesterday's internet newspapers line the cyber-cages of virtual birds?"]
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: BOSTON HARBOR LIGHT ARTICLE - 08/12/98 03:52 AM

Quote:
"...do yesterday's internet newspapers line the cyber-cages of virtual birds?"

I think they just get piled up in the cyber-attic.

I did a search on the Internet a couple years ago on my name and found a dBase III utility program I had written and uploaded to some long forgotten bulletin board at least 8 years prior.

John
Posted By: Todd Shorkey

Re: BOSTON HARBOR LIGHT ARTICLE - 08/12/98 12:28 PM

FYI- For those not courageous enough to find out what Tim's example of www.dogpile.com was, it is not as bad as you might think. Dogpile.com is actually a search engine, not a dog pile.
© 2024 Collector Forums