LighthouseKeepers.com

Story of the Lightship RELIEF in Oakland CA

Posted By: Webmaster

Story of the Lightship RELIEF in Oakland CA - 03/04/03 05:57 PM

Click here
Posted By: plebetkin

Re: Story of the Lightship RELIEF in Oakland CA - 03/04/03 07:04 PM

Interesting story. If anyone visits Baltimore, MD, visit the harbor area and take a tour of the lightship Chesepeake. The guides give a in-depth history and take you all over the ship.
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: Story of the Lightship RELIEF in Oakland CA - 03/05/03 01:45 AM

My wife and I visited this lightship in January and met Mr. Byrnes. We had an excellent private tour (only because there was no one else visiting at that time). The ship is in excellent condition - the volunteers have done a great job. You get to see everything from the bridge to the engine room. I'd highly recommend visitig this ship if you're ever in the area.

Larry
Posted By: Torchbearer

Re: Story of the Lightship RELIEF in Oakland CA - 03/05/03 02:22 AM

Wouldn't it have been fun to be onboard the Chesapeake while she was on station during a major storm?! The same also goes for the Lightship Portsmouth in Portsmouth, VA. Thanks again John for the link.

Tim
Posted By: Shirin

Re: Story of the Lightship RELIEF in Oakland CA - 03/05/03 02:04 PM

The Chesapeake is a great place to visit. I went on many a school field trip to see it. Also, if you are in the area look for when the Chesapeake Chapter USLHS does a volunteer clean up day. Last time I was there I spent hours just cleaning up the brass in the watch room.
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: Story of the Lightship RELIEF in Oakland CA - 03/05/03 08:04 PM

The Chesapeake was great to see while in Baltimore, but no thanks Tim, I would not like to be out on it during a storm!!!!
© 2024 Collector Forums