LighthouseKeepers.com

A new lightship discovery?

Posted By: seagirt

A new lightship discovery? - 02/12/08 03:29 AM

I was just on Flickr, trying to find info on Lightship Ten in London, which I want to visit in April. I put those terms into the Flickr search engine, and clicked on the first photo, "Lightship (10)."

Instead of seeing a European ship, however, I saw the sinking of an American lightship, LV-84/Relief. The photos are here: http://flickr.com/photos/harvenyc/sets/72057594129594392/. It sank in Red Hook, Brooklyn in the mid-90s, and is still there today according to the Google map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safar...m=1&sa=N&tab=wl

If you go from the green arrow to the end of Richards St, then look on the northwest side of the thin pier there, you'll see the twin white masts of the lightship, still sitting on the bottom.

I'm going to have to check this out. It's only a few blocks from the passenger pier in Red Hook, so maybe I'll combine it with a QM2 visit one day.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 02/12/08 03:55 AM

An interesting discovery, Greg. Makes one wonder why it was sunk, and why it still it is still in place.
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 02/12/08 01:53 PM

Sounds interesting ... Looking forward to the results of your trip to find out more -- some QM2 pictures would be welcome too!

And if you want to know more about UK Light Vessels, have a look at Iris' pages. She is not called "Lightshipfan" for nothing wink Lightships of England
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 02/12/08 03:24 PM

Sad to see it's still underwater. I hope there's a plan in the works to raise her.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 02/13/08 03:24 AM

Before you raise her, you need a plan to raise money and a place for her to go.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 02/13/08 03:30 AM

I wonder if they got the lens out.
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 02/13/08 11:21 PM

Quote:
I wonder if they got the lens out.
Ooohhhh - I hope so ... and not just the lens, but a whole host of other stuff...
Posted By: Zachary

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 02/17/08 06:19 PM

Oh that's been sunken for at least 10 years. I remember hearing that the owner was being sued to remove it but I don't know where that went

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 03/19/08 10:12 PM

I'm going to try and see LV-84 for myself tomorrow. I'm going to an event in Red Hook aboard the Queen Mary 2. (As you can all guess, I am about to explode from the excitement.) We're planning on driving into Brooklyn from NJ, so if we have the time, this might be the perfect chance to try and scope out the lightship.

Going to peek at the Google map of the area tonight and figure out where the passenger terminal is in relation to the lightship. If I'm able to find it, I'll of course post photos here.
Posted By: sandy

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 03/19/08 11:51 PM

Hadn't heard about this prior to Greg's bringing it back to the top today and read the article written by Harvey Weinstein of brooklyn, NY ad published in the NY Times shortly after the ship sunk in the summer of 2003. (Curious where Zachary got his information about it taking place 10 years ago.)

An interesting read and a damn shame. http://www.uscglightshipsailors.org/sinking_of_lightship_84.htm

Sandy

P.S. Hope Greg's able to get some pictures.

Re: A new lightship discovery? - 03/21/08 06:58 AM

Well, QM2 was absolutely wonderful. But after the 30 minutes we spent playing tag with her funnel around Red Hook, the worst-signed area in New York, we decided to ditch the search for the lightship for today.

But there shall definitely be another attempt...hopefully before LV-84 is gone.
© 2024 Collector Forums