LighthouseKeepers.com

Tragedy in cape Elizabeth

Posted By: Bill Harnsberger

Tragedy in cape Elizabeth - 02/17/99 07:59 PM

Got a glimpse on the local (Portland, ME) news last night of the "renovation" of the house at Cape Elizabeth Light (AKA Two Lights).

Destruction is more like it.

Virtually the entire house has been razed. Only one side remains. If you hold your HL piece so that the tower is on the right side, the exterior facing you is all that remains. My God, it looks terrible.

This is a classic example of why lighthouse preservation is so important. I'm utterly amazed that the Cape Elizabeth political muckety mucks weren't more proactive in preserving this important piece of maritime history. They let it be destroyed. Shame.

I'm going to drive to Cape Elizabeth this weekend and get some photos of the destruction. John, I'll pass them on to you in case you'd like to post them here.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Tragedy in cape Elizabeth - 02/18/99 01:32 AM

I'll be lookin' for those Bill. Sounds bad.
Posted By: Art

Re: Tragedy in cape Elizabeth - 02/18/99 06:27 AM

Ugh! Not only is history savaged, but a fine piece of Victorian architecture gone as well!

>:-(

The ugly side of property rights.

Bill, maybe we can use your photos to advantage somehow. Cape Elizabeth Light: Poster Child for your favorite preservation society.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Tragedy in cape Elizabeth - 02/18/99 06:32 AM

Lighthouse Digest has covered the impending butchering of the Cape Elizabeth keeper's quarters in past months.
http://www.lhdigest.com/archives/1998/sept98/Capeeliz.htm

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 02-17-99).]

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 02-18-99).]
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Tragedy in cape Elizabeth - 02/18/99 03:02 PM

I was at Cape Elizabeth on Monday (2/15). I took a few distant pictures of the Keeper's House and the light itself. At first I thought they might have had a fire because a section of the roof appeared to be off. I'll pick up the pictures from the processor tonight. If anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like, email me at Biri97@aol.com to be put on the list. Those of you already on my lighthouse picture list will get them automatically. It seems the area is slowly being sacrificed to private concerns who wish to keep the general public away.

That's the word from the East Coast where it's 40 degrees and raining.
© 2024 Collector Forums