LighthouseKeepers.com

Funds for New Point Comfort

Posted By: bonnebert

Funds for New Point Comfort - 12/02/03 12:37 AM

The following came to me from Bob Trapani:

Hello,

I recently emailed a story that talked about the pursuit of an appropriations bill in Congress to help the oyster industry (4 million) and New Point Comfort Light ($450,000) in the Chesapeake Bay. Well, here is the latest -- it looks like it will go through as it only requires the signature of President Bush to make it official.

What was good to read was a quote from Rep. Jo Ann Davis who said, "The preservation of this lighthouse and our water heritage must remain a priority,"

New Point Comfort Article

Anytime a lighthouse receives funding via congressional support, it raises the chances of future lights to obtain appropriations. The more legislators understand how important lighthouses are to our communities, the higher the value and appreciation attached to them by the general public. In turn, lighthouse groups will be more attractive recipients for the financial support so critical to our preservation efforts. Let's all do our part to attract the attention of our legislators for our projects -- it makes a difference with both the local and national lighthouse scene.

Joyce
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Funds for New Point Comfort - 12/02/03 07:22 AM

Joyce,
This could be great news for New Point Lighthouse, and for the men that make their livings on the bay.

By the way, I don't remember seeing any articles about how New Point weathered Isabel. Can you share any info on that? Being originally from Hampton, I would be interested.

Thanks,

Melody smile
Posted By: bonnebert

Re: Funds for New Point Comfort - 12/02/03 03:46 PM

Melody, I have not heard too much about New Point Comfort, but I beleive it weathered the storm okay. If I hear of anything, I'll let you know.

Joyce
© 2024 Collector Forums