LighthouseKeepers.com

Repairs may keep lighthouse closed is 2004

Posted By: Shirin

Repairs may keep lighthouse closed is 2004 - 11/16/03 03:41 PM

Hunting Island to be closed through 2004?
Posted By: bonnebert

Re: Repairs may keep lighthouse closed is 2004 - 11/17/03 04:39 PM

That's a shame. Robert and I have not been down that way, and after our Collector's Club meeting with Kim as the speaker, we have decided to attend the Regional at St. Augustine in March, and since Robert does like to fly, we were going to make it a lighthouse trip down and back, and Hunting Island was on the list.

Joyce
Posted By: wheland

Re: Repairs may keep lighthouse closed is 2004 - 11/17/03 06:07 PM

Joyce,

I realize it won't be quite the same without climbing the tower, but the ride out to the Lighthouse is very nice and they have done a very good job of restoing some of the other buildings at the Lighthstation.

It would still be worth the trip. IMHO.

Dennis
Posted By: Shirin

Re: Repairs may keep lighthouse closed is 2004 - 11/17/03 07:14 PM

I agree with Dennis. The ride and the area around the lighthouse are worth the drive. I'm thinking of including that in my vacation next week if my nephew is up to it.
Posted By: rgurskey

Re: Repairs may keep lighthouse closed is 2004 - 11/17/03 07:22 PM

What I found odd was that the staircase has semi-circular platforms much like St. Augustine, but the platforms are not aligned. A photograph taken from the bottom and looking up shows a haphazard arrangement of platforms.

Robert
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Repairs may keep lighthouse closed is 2004 - 11/17/03 07:37 PM

Oh yes, Joyce, go anyway if you & Robert have the chance. It is a scenic area and the grounds and buildings are beautiful with lots of photo opportunities. I don't know if the gift shop has off season hours, but it's a really nice one.

Then, you're right on the beach, and there are picnic tables. A wonderful spot to have lunch by a lighthouse.

Shirin, I think your nephew would enjoy it too.

And guess what...I think this might be my 500th post!

Judy smile
Posted By: bonnebert

Re: Repairs may keep lighthouse closed is 2004 - 11/18/03 04:14 PM

Oh, don't worry we will go to it even though we won't be able to climb it. Can't miss an opportunity to see a lighthouse and take a whole roll of pictures of it.

500th post, way to go Judy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joyce
© 2024 Collector Forums