LighthouseKeepers.com

Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory

Posted By: rgurskey

Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory - 12/31/08 05:35 PM

Barnegat Light will be relit on New Year's Day. I plan to be there. Is anyone else going?
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory - 12/31/08 05:58 PM

I knew it was early in 2009, but didn't know it was tomorrow!!! Doudt I will be able to make it. I guess I should still find out what time.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory - 12/31/08 06:13 PM

New Year's Day does qualify as early in 2009 . . . Hope you can find a way to make it to the ceremonies, Stan. If not, I'm sure Robert will share some images with us. What a great way to start off a new year of lighthousing!
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory - 12/31/08 07:04 PM

I wish I could go...but I can only be on one barrier island at once...

I'm thinking of a South Jersey/Delaware trip one weekend soon, though, so maybe I'll see it then.

Re: Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory - 12/31/08 07:28 PM

The lighting will be at dusk, which should have been obvious to me.

It will light automaticly everyday at dusk going forward.

It hasn't been lite since 1927.
Posted By: rgurskey

Re: Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory - 01/14/09 12:34 AM

On January 1st, we drove to the lighthouse in the morning in hopes that it would be open for climbing. It wasn't but I got some good shots.

Yes, it was very cold in NJ on New Year's day. That is ice on the pilings.

We returned around 4:30 along with 1000 other people. We had to park about four blocks from the lighthouse and walk the rest of the way.

Here are the huddled masses waiting for the relighting.

The modern light mechanism is visible in this telephoto view of the lantern room.

The Coast Guard came out in their patrol boat name "Barnegat Light".

After the big event at 5:08 on New Year's Day, the crowds quickly disappeared. Marianne and I walked around to the ocean side of the lighthouse, and I got this shot with the sunset. Unfortunately I remembered how to use the nighttime settings of my digital camera after we left the lighthouse.

Re: Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory - 01/14/09 02:53 AM

Great pics Robert !!!

I didn't make it to the first lighting, we had holiday company over at the time.

Deb and I are planning to take a ride over to Old Barney in the next few weeks to see her lite.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory - 01/14/09 04:45 AM

Thanks for sharing, Robert. Nice crowd for a cold day, a holiday no less. Gotta love walking around piers and such on those nice, frigid days.

Is the optic one of the new LED types? Kind of looks like that from what I can see in your image.
Posted By: The Cape Cod Store.com

Re: Barnegat Light Relighting Ceremory - 01/14/09 04:53 PM

That small Vega lens looks so lost in that large lantern room which was designed to hold a First Order Fresnel.
© 2024 Collector Forums