LighthouseKeepers.com

Florida Lighthouse Association

Posted By: Joanne

Florida Lighthouse Association - 06/13/00 02:17 AM

I just received my first quarterly newpaper from the Florida Lighthouse Association (FLA). For those of you live in Florida, but are not a member, I'd like you to know that the next meeting (July 15) will be held at Mayport Naval Air Station near Jacksonville, and the two lighthouses that will be visited are St. John's River Lighthouse and the St. Johns Light Station. A bus will leave the Naval Air Station at 9 a.m. If you're interesting in joining FLA, the website is:
http://www.floridalightouses.org

Joanne
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 06/13/00 08:16 PM

FLA membership isn't just for Floridians, either. It's a good, hardworking organization with a most interesting quarterly publication.

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 06/13/00 08:56 PM

That's true, anyone can join.

Joanne
Posted By: Nana

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 06/14/00 02:08 AM

Wish I could join you for the trip to Jax. Joanne, but will be looking at Coquille on the 15th of July.

If you all did not know, a small group of lighthouse lovers has done some great work to the St. John's River light and have opened a small museum in a building behind the light. If you are there when the museum is open you can get in a fence on the Mayport side of the light and not have to go thru the naval base. I think their grand opening is on the 14th or 15th of July.

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 06-13-2000).]

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 06/16/00 02:50 AM

Derith,

Coquille sounds very exciting. I hope you let us know all about it and share your photos.

Joanne
Posted By: rynomatt

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 06/25/00 05:18 AM

how do you join without living in florida?thanks
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 06/25/00 06:06 AM

Joanne

Your email address for the Florida Lighthouse association is incorrect. It should read:
http://www.floridalighthouses.org/

Daniel

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 06/26/00 12:40 AM

Thanks for the correction Daniel. Rynomatt, I believe you can join by getting information off of the website.

Joanne
Posted By: rynomatt

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 06/26/00 04:52 PM

thank you everyone!! I'll check it out!
Posted By: Wildbird99

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 07/05/00 02:26 AM

I'll add some good words for the FLA. Although I'm a Long Islander, I'm a proud member of the FLA. It's an active organization headed up by a gentleman, Tom Taylor, that knows and loves lighthouses. I'm always eager to return to Florida for my annual visit, and I'm there now. I'll be seeing Tom later this week and know I will come away from that time inspired and more knowledgable than I was before.

If you're a Floridian, you really should join the FLA (and come see me at St. Augustine July 6 at 7PM and Ponce Inlet July 8 at 2PM... shameless plug). Even if you're not a citizen of the state, it's a worthy organization to support.

------------------
Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com
Posted By: Nana

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association - 07/05/00 02:51 AM

HI Bob,

Sorry I am working summer school and can't get to either location. I envy you the trip to both of those magnificent FL lights.
Derith
© 2024 Collector Forums