LighthouseKeepers.com

National Lighthouse Museum

Posted By: rgurskey

National Lighthouse Museum - 09/15/08 10:42 PM

on Staten Island may never come to fruition.

News story
Posted By: silverfox51

Re: National Lighthouse Museum - 09/16/08 04:21 AM

Thats really a shame. I was really rooting for this. I had my doubts they woul be able to pull it off though. Politics in New York is nasty and the buildings looked to be in not so good shape from the posted pictures. Alot of money would need to be spent and private funds are really tight. Would really like to this done. To bad people can't work together for the good of all.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: National Lighthouse Museum - 09/16/08 03:58 PM

It is very unfortunate. The battle over where the museum would be located was a pretty intense one back when it was made. If my memory serves me, Staten Island won out (by not a large margin) over Mackinaw City. Lots of strengths for both locations, as well as several others that were in the running.

There are some really great museums of various sizes that do a nice job of presenting lighthouse history, especially as it concerns the locale where the museum is located. I wonder if the assets mentioned in the article are material or financial? I am guessing not financial because of the comment that they want to pay off the former landlord over time on an amount that is not really that significant.
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: National Lighthouse Museum - 09/16/08 05:29 PM

This is sad news. I was looking forward to visiting this museum someday soon.
Posted By: CAVR

Re: National Lighthouse Museum - 09/16/08 05:53 PM

Well, there's always MAINE!

The lighthouse museum in Rockland, ME is pretty neat and worth a stop. Thanks to Ken Black's original efforts. He was a great guy.
Posted By: RMau

Re: National Lighthouse Museum - 05/15/18 05:15 PM

Well, good news for a change. The National Lighthouse Museum on Staten Island is up and running! And has been for a couple of years.

www.lighthousemuseum.org ought to get you to the website.

Pass this along to enough people and maybe we can help Harry Hine sell some of his new pieces. Or maybe the museum will buy a few from Harry for resale.

Rick
Posted By: Dave H

Re: National Lighthouse Museum - 05/16/18 06:17 PM

Wow, Rick, you had to do some excavating to find this thread! Talk about working a cold case.

It is good to see the National Lighthouse Museum up and going. They had some real rough patches there for a while.

Thanks for letting everyone know.
Posted By: RMau

Re: National Lighthouse Museum - 05/18/18 01:27 PM

Thanks Dave. I was pretty sure that there had been a discussion about the NLM, but wasn't sure it was here, or on the old AOL gatherings. Maybe it was both.

I hope knowing that the NLM is up and running puts it on some vacation agendas for those that still enjoy lighthouses. If any of your Facebook users want to cross-post, that would be good.

Rick
© 2024 Collector Forums