LighthouseKeepers.com

Anclote Lighthouse Open House

Posted By: Weasel58

Anclote Lighthouse Open House - 09/16/12 03:14 AM

Today was our annual September open house at Anclote Keys Lighthouse. 125 years ago tonight the lighthouse was lit for the first time. The highlight of the day for me was seeing the bald eagles are still nesting about 200 yards north of the tower. Their nest has been in the same area on the island for the 12 years that I have been visiting Anclote Keys

Attached picture Anclote eagle.JPG
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Anclote Lighthouse Open House - 09/16/12 01:47 PM

Very cool, Eric, thanks for sharing. How was your attendance?

And, do feel free to share more pictures. . .

Re: Anclote Lighthouse Open House - 09/16/12 10:12 PM

We had about 120 or 130 people. I would say about 100 of them climbed the tower. That's not a bad turn out for a lighthouse that can only be accessed by boat.

I really did not take a lot of photos this time as I have so many. But here are views from the top. Looking down on the Park Ranger's house and solar farm. The park is almost fossil free, they still have a generator for power when the weather is cloudy for extended times.

A view of the lens.

A view of the tower's shadow.

Attached picture anclotte keys park rangers house.JPG
Attached picture lens.JPG
Attached File
shadow.JPG  (9 downloads)

Re: Anclote Lighthouse Open House - 09/16/12 10:20 PM

Here is a link to the Friends of Anclote CSO (Citizen's Support Organization) website for Anclote Keys State Park.

The next open house should be in early December. Dates have not been posted yet.

If you do not have access to a boat the park service contracts one of the marine tour companies in Tarpon Springs to ferry people out to the lighthouse and back on open house days.

http://www.anclotecso.com/
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Anclote Lighthouse Open House - 09/16/12 10:42 PM

Cool!

Re: Anclote Lighthouse Open House - 09/16/12 10:46 PM

Ah! This one!

Attached picture AKsm.jpg

Re: Anclote Lighthouse Open House - 09/17/12 01:02 AM

You need to get a lot closer Bob!!

Re: Anclote Lighthouse Open House - 09/17/12 03:52 PM

The day I went Jery was going to rent a boat but the bay was too rough so somehow Pixie hooked us up wiyh a plane.
Give me a heads up on future climbings Eric and I'll try to work it in.

Re: Anclote Lighthouse Open House - 09/17/12 05:53 PM

There are usually 3 open houses a year. One around the middle of September which is the anniversary of the lighthouse's first lighting on September 15, 1887.

Then again the first or second weekend in December and finally about the middle of April. As soon as I get solid dates I will post them.
© 2024 Collector Forums