LighthouseKeepers.com

ICE Lighthouse

Posted By: rscroope

ICE Lighthouse - 12/18/10 03:51 PM

My nephew sent me this connection this morning.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=164226&utm
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/18/10 07:14 PM

I found a youtube on this...it is awesome. Ice Lighthouse
Posted By: rscroope

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/20/10 11:45 PM

Can you imagine being the lightkeeper frozen in or out of the Light???????????
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/21/10 12:48 AM

Can you imagine having to rescue a keeper trapped inside using 19th century equipment and techniques?

Seems like if the whole structure is encapsulated with ice, you could be in danger of running out of air.
Posted By: wvlights0

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/21/10 01:46 AM

I don't know specifically about this light, but many if not most Great Lakes lighthouses closed down during the winter. No shipping when the lake is frozen.
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/21/10 05:02 PM

Good point, Laura..
Posted By: Mark Wagner

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/23/10 12:21 PM

I saw a ship 3-4 days ago just off US Steel's docks at Gary IN. On the southern tip of lake Michigan (just leaving or coming in, It was at night and couldn't tell what direction it was going)

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/23/10 02:24 PM

Now you have me curious Mark. I'll try to figure out if the Cleveland light was manned during the winter.

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/23/10 04:24 PM

I took this screen shot after following links from boatnerd.com then to http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/navigating/map/index.html

Upon further review, that is a stock satellite image and not current

Description: Here is a satellite image from this morning with a ship unloading at Arcelor Mittal in East Chicago, IN.
Attached picture shipunloading.jpg

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/27/10 10:58 PM

Although I thought the satellite image was recent, this is recent, it was taken yesterday. It is the Joseph Block unloading at the same place as the ship in the satellite image and over on the left is the Indiana Harbor east lighthouse

(Edit)That image should say "12-26-10"

Attached File
joeblock12-26-09.jpg  (6 downloads)

Re: ICE Lighthouse - 12/28/10 01:31 AM

Though I can't find anything specific about seasonal service at Cleveland West Breakwater, I did find this in "The Book" (Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia)

They took it as their solemn duty to get to their stations early in the season so their lights would be lit for the beginning of the shipping season, and they would stay at their station until freeze-up, sometimes having to walk miles across ice at the end of the season. Occasionally they were forced to winter over, and some did not survive.

I wonder what happens to shipping if there is a temporary freeze in the harbors?
© 2024 Collector Forums