LighthouseKeepers.com

Last Pea Island Surfman Dies

Posted By: Lighthouser

Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/12/06 05:22 PM

From the North Carolina Outer Banks Sentinel...

"Bill Charles" Bowser, Last Pea Island Surfman Dies
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/12/06 11:26 PM

A wonderful life; a wonderful story by Sandy Seamans.
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/13/06 12:14 AM

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story about a real hero. Wouldn't it be nice if one of the Anchor Bay models would be of a life saving boat of this vintage complete with surfmen?
Judy
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/13/06 04:34 AM

A very nicely written story about a person who certainly made the very most of his life.

Judy, HL did make "the men of the LSS" a few years back. Of course, they were kind of large and I believe they didn't do very well sales wise.

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/13/06 05:15 AM

Harbour Lights has done three of the LSS's so far, Indian River, Chicamacomico and Pt. Allerton. The PT. Allerton has removable pieces that include the surfmen's boat, lyle gun, life car, and a breeches bouy.
Pt. Allerton LSS

Judy, maybe 2007 will see another HL LSS, and wouldn't it be neat if it featured the surfmen - scaled to the building this time.

Btw, I highly recommend the book, Fire on the Beach by David Wright and David Zoby. It's the story of Richard Etheridge and the Pea Island Lifesavers (Surfmen). It's good reading!
Posted By: SDudley

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/13/06 01:31 PM

Yes, it would be nice to see another Life Saving Station. I'm not sure if they did real well as all of them still seem to be available. It would be nice however to have a Duluth style station to complete all of the main types.
Posted By: HCS

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/13/06 01:41 PM

Judy,
Thanks for sharing this great story!
HCS

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/13/06 03:33 PM

It would be a nice addition to do Pea Island with pewter Surfmen to scale as African Americans.

Could it open up another avenue for Harbour Lights?

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/13/06 04:18 PM

The Pea Island LSS does still exist (correction of what I said earlier). I knew I should have referred to Stephen Wilmoth's site - I consider him the expert on NC LSS's.

The station was sold when no longer in use and moved to Salvo, NC to be used as a private residence. Stephen has some great coverage of this station on his Beach Bum's Site...check out this page:
Pea Island LSS

Thanks again for the wealth of research/information/photos on your site, Stephen!
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/13/06 05:20 PM

I do remember the HL surfmen but they were just too large. I was thinking that an actual boat with the surfmen in it would be a nice addition to the Anchor Bay collection. I'm not too keen on the separate little people.

Judy, thanks for the recommendation on the book.

Judy

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/15/06 03:11 PM

RADM Stephen W. Rochon, Commander U.S. Coast Guard's Maintenance and Logistics Command Atlantic, will attend the service Saturday Afternoon in Elizabeth City, NC.

From a Press Release by the Fifth District USCG...
Quote:
As a passionate student of history, Rochon spearheaded the posthumous awarding of the Gold Lifesaving Medal for the all-black crew of the Pea Island Lifesaving Station for their daring rescue in 1896 near the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
William Charles "Bill Charles" Bowser will be laid to rest with military honors.

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/15/06 05:24 PM

Thanks for the update, Judy. And thanks to the RADM for laying "Bill Charles" to rest with honors.
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/15/06 06:15 PM

Hadn't had a chance to go through this thread. Thanks for starting it, Judy. What a terrific man Bill Charles must have been. I hope everybody checks out Stephen's website. I got hooked on the LSS after checking his site the first time. David Stick's book The Outer Banks of North Carolina 1584-1958 (recommended to me by Judy) smile has a lot of information about the locations and relocations of the stations there.
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/16/06 07:19 AM

Quote:
Btw, I highly recommend the book, Fire on the Beach by David Wright and David Zoby. It's the story of Richard Etheridge and the Pea Island Lifesavers (Surfmen). It's good reading!
I was able to purchase an old autographed copy of this book in an Phoebus Antique store several days after the Tidewater event. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but will move it up to the top of the stack of "to be read" so it will be next.
smile
Posted By: beachbum1616

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/16/06 02:29 PM

Thanks for the plug, Grace!

I will have to get that book and check it out. I have this feeling that there is one more station in exestince on the N. OBX but I haven't had the time to explore to find it. Maybe it will help.
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/17/06 01:24 AM

I'm not so sure, Stephen. You expressed that concern a while back, so I tried comparing your list with Stick's info. If I recall correctly, you seemed to have it all.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Last Pea Island Surfman Dies - 07/18/06 02:45 AM

Very interesting.
© 2024 Collector Forums