LighthouseKeepers.com

LONG ISLAND

Posted By: fra02441

LONG ISLAND - 05/15/05 06:00 PM

I went to Long Island Sat to do the challenge
I made it to all but Montauk and Horton point.
The weather suprissed everyone. We LUCKED out.
I went on the Cruise and meet some of you. It was great. Even my husband had a good time(he hates when I drag him, rather play golf.)The cruise was great. The people working the cruise did a great job. Would do it again. I got home at midnight so my husband can play golf today. Life is good.
Fran laugh
Posted By: wheland

Re: LONG ISLAND - 05/16/05 01:03 AM

Fran,

It was talking to you and your husband (I don't think I ever got his name, actually) on the cruise.

Esther and I finished up today with Old field, Eaton's Neck and Huntington Harbor- with a bonus stop at teh Nantucket Lighthship in Oyster Bay.

You forgot to mention the assembly line delivery of your- and Esther's- birthday cakes on the cruise.

I think a good time was had by all and it looks like the first LI Lighthouse challenge was a rip roaring success- and the weather held for the most part today as well.

Dennis
Posted By: fra02441

Re: LONG ISLAND - 05/16/05 02:29 AM

My husband's name is Rich. I got to involved with checking out 250 pictures to tell the whole story.
Posted By: Grover

Re: LONG ISLAND - 05/16/05 04:51 AM

Dennis,

Sorry we didn't connect ...

I made it to Old Field Point, Eaton's Neck, Huntington Harbor,and like you, decided to make the lightship ...

I had Fire island in my plans but never anticipated the wait that was had at HH ... over 90 minutes ... I guess that was both bad news and good news ...

And of course, the only sustained rain of the day came on the open-boat ride back from HH. By the time I made the lightship the sun was back out ...

Still and all, a great day .. the organizers should be commended for the effort and execution. I heard not one contrary word.

Barry
Posted By: wheland

Re: LONG ISLAND - 05/16/05 05:30 AM

Barry,

You must ahve been waiting for a boat out to Huntington when we came in from the Lighthouse.

It was about 2 PM maybe a bit earlier.

I originally intended to get to Huntington at 8 AM for that very reason- concern about a waiting time. Unfortunately, we ran into a whole pack of HL Wackos at breakfast and spent a bit longer talking instead of eating breakfast.

We decided to go to Old Field point and Eaton's Neck Lighthouses first so we wouldn't have any backtracking involved.

Hopefully next time we'll actually get to meet.

Dennis
© 2024 Collector Forums