LighthouseKeepers.com

America's Best Known Lighthouses

Posted By: Webmaster

America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/17/03 10:37 PM

Here are the nominations for America's Best Known Lighthouses.

You will have the opportunity to vote for up to 3. You are NOT voting for your favorite lighthouse or lighthouses that you have visited, but for lighthouses that you believe most Americans would recognize.

Voting ends March 31, 2003.
Posted By: AZlightkeeper

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/17/03 10:49 PM

Very good poll, John! It will be fun to see the results!
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/18/03 04:20 PM

The diamond pattern of Cape Lookout is one of the most used lighthouses in ads over the years... This is the lighthouse that I voted for that wasn't listed...
Posted By: silverfox51

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/18/03 06:19 PM

Neat poll. I didn't vote for the Statue of Liberty because I really don't think people in general know that it was once under authority of the lighthouse board. Most I believe would recognize it as a famouse "Statue".
Posted By: Bob48

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/18/03 06:53 PM

Think of all the folks who can recognize Alcatraz as a prison (from all the movies, etc.) and never think they're looking at a lighthouse.
Posted By: Roxie

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/18/03 10:27 PM

I voted for Boston Light, Cape Hatteras and Portland Head. Those say AMERICA to me! laugh
Posted By: Jake

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/19/03 12:02 AM

I voted for Cape Hatteras (which seems to be nearly unanimous), Portland Head, and Split Rock. For what it's worth...
Posted By: plebetkin

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/19/03 02:18 AM

it will be interesting to see if East coast or West coast lights are more recognizable.
Posted By: Dick Johnson

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/19/03 03:28 AM

I think many of the majors are here, but you might consider Tybee, St. Simons, Hilton Head (for golfers), Heceta Head, Chicago Harbour, and Alcatraz as highly visable tourist attractions that are seen by a lot of people and have a lot of pictures made of them.

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/19/03 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Johnson:
I think many of the majors are here, but you might consider Tybee, St. Simons, Hilton Head (for golfers), Heceta Head, Chicago Harbour, and Alcatraz as highly visable tourist attractions that are seen by a lot of people and have a lot of pictures made of them.
I agree Dick, but nominations were open on the Forums for a couple of weeks and those didn't come up.
Posted By: Dick Johnson

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/20/03 03:33 AM

I must have missed that post. I was out of touch for a while, and the nominations post must have come up then.
Posted By: Brent

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 02/20/03 02:49 PM

All in all....there doesn't really seem to be any real surprises except that I would have guessed that Portland Head would have been running neck & neck with Cape Hatteras. Great poll, John!!

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 03/13/03 07:42 PM

Still a couple weeks to participate in this poll.
Posted By: rscroope

Re: America's Best Known Lighthouses - 03/14/03 03:05 PM

I can't believe Montauk is not here plus that lighthouse in Washington or Oregon that's in all the recent movies!
© 2024 Collector Forums