LighthouseKeepers.com

2008 Wacko Badge selection

Posted By: Dave H

2008 Wacko Badge selection - 02/28/08 07:44 PM

This poll will select the choice preferences for a 2008 Wacko Badge. The results will be hidden from view until after the poll is completed. The poll will run for one week.

The choices represent a selection of lights from the east and west coast as well as the Great Lakes.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 02/28/08 08:10 PM

For those that are no so inquisitive and may not be familiar with all the lighthouses, Dave has posted a shortcut to each lighthouse’s info page on the Poll.

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 02/28/08 08:53 PM

Thanks, Daniel. My oversight not also listing the choices where they could be seen before voting. Here they are:

Coquille

Harbor of Refuge

Morris Island

Toledo Harbor
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 02/29/08 12:58 AM

How about raising the price of the badge a bit? I sure most of us could afford, say $9.99
Posted By: Bob M

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 02/29/08 01:56 AM

I checked out the links to the four lights. I was surprised to see Coquille with a red base. When was the color changed?

confused Bob
Posted By: seagirt

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 02/29/08 02:34 AM

From Lighthouse Friends:

Quote:
Violent winter storms deposit piles of drift wood on the beach near the lighthouse and have eaten away at the lighthouse’s foundation. To correct this problem, a restoration effort, costing over $600,000, was carried out during the summer of 2007. The project included removing damaged stucco, repainting the exterior, replacing the roof, adding a false chimney, and repairing copper flashing. The colors used to paint the lighthouse were reportedly found on some older layers of stucco, but some locals strongly oppose the new color scheme and insist that white is the historically accurate color.
http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=127
Posted By: fra02441

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 02/29/08 05:53 PM

Maybe leave it at the original price and say minimum cost but more is accepted or something like that. This way if someone wants it and can't afford more can get it and others can be more generous. I am willing to give more.
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 02/29/08 05:58 PM

I would not mind paying a couple of bucks extra!! $10 sounds fair enough to me! wink
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/01/08 06:31 AM

Count us in too!
Bill and Judy
Posted By: wheland

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/01/08 07:19 PM

Here's an interesting story about one of the choices available- Coquille.

http://www.kcby.com/news/local/16133437.html

Dennis
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/05/08 10:11 PM

Count me in for whatever price you all decide on.
Thanks for taking this on again this year. smile
Posted By: RIP Puls

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/05/08 11:44 PM

I think it would be cool to select TOLEDO HARBOR
as we are having a regional close by.They are
in much need and we might be able to get a little
more of a touor if they know we are donating
some money to them,for restoration.
RIP
Posted By: RoyMcB

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/06/08 07:10 AM

Rip's idea sounds like a good one to us. I know that when we first saw Toledo Harbor a few years ago it looked as if it could really use some work. Then I saw the pictures from the link that showed the clean up crew on a work day and I would have to agree that this light could use some help. It would also be nice to support a light that is close to were the Regional Event is to be and of course any tour possibilities are always high on our interest list. I don't think the price mentioned is too unreasonable. After all the money will be going to a good cause. This is just our opinion and we will of course support which ever one wins. smile smile

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/06/08 08:01 PM

Morris Island

Thanks to those who voted. Stay tuned for info on how to purchase.
Posted By: HCS

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/10/08 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
[b]Morris Island

Thanks to those who voted. Stay tuned for info on how to purchase. [/b]
Can we order the badges yet?
If so, where do we send cheque?
HCS
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/23/08 08:42 PM

Quote:
Can we order the badges yet?
If so, where do we send cheque?

I guess I have the same question. I was willing to send in $25.00 in order to help the cause. If I have to wait much longer to find out even how to order, my "donation" might just drop a tad. HINT. HINT.

bobo

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/23/08 10:47 PM

John has been working on the order page. With his other obligations he has to work these projects in as time allows. I would think it will appear very soon, and providing my printer doesn't croak on me, I will produce the first batch after about a week of orders have accumulated.

I am a little scared that with everyone's eagerness to get their badge in hand that you must be wearing them around the house? I take it as a great compliment that you are that anxious to receive the completed badge, but it still worries me a bit...
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/24/08 12:19 AM

We've ironed out the issues and you should be able to place your orders now. Click Here

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/24/08 09:51 PM

Quote:
I am a little scared that with everyone's eagerness to get their badge in hand that you must be wearing them around the house? I take it as a great compliment that you are that anxious to receive the completed badge, but it still worries me a bit...
Well I am keen to get mine for the various lighthousings we have planned this year. But Dave, why is it wrong to wear your badge in the house?
I'd say

Wear your badge with pride!!

We will !!!

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/24/08 11:01 PM

Margret,

Good for you. Wear yours around the house.

I even intend to wear mine in the shower.

bobo

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/25/08 12:06 AM

Hey Bobo ... is that why they are laminated? biglaugh

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/25/08 12:56 AM

Yes Margret,

You are very astute.

bobo

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/25/08 02:03 AM

Bob, I don't think that Margret knows you live in a nudist colony and wearing your badge constitutes dressing up....

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/25/08 05:04 AM

Dave,

And you should see it when I wear my bow tie to go along with it. That makes it really stunning.

bobo

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/25/08 10:17 AM

... the mind boggles ...
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 03/25/08 02:59 PM

I have to get a Wacko badge this year.

Last year I waited till I had lightousing plans. Well I didn't buy one because I wasn't able to do any lighthousing.

The year before I did buy one and I did some lighthousing.

Something tells me if I want to get my lighthousing back on track I should get a Wacko badge asap.

I did see some lighthouses last year, but they were from a distance on a ferry ride to Shea Stadium. Hopefully I'll get around to posting a few of the better shots.
Posted By: BeaconBob

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 04/13/08 08:49 PM

Just sent my order in for the Wacko badge! This light was one of the ones we visited last year and is in desparate need at this time! Glad to see that this is the one we will be supporting this year!
Posted By: mombo

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 04/15/08 03:38 AM

Hmmm, I've been to Shea Stadium but didn't have to take a ferry to get there... laugh

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 04/15/08 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mombo:
Hmmm, I've been to Shea Stadium but didn't have to take a ferry to get there... laugh
After driving about a 100 times from south-central NJ (a little north of Barnegat Light) to Shea over a 30 year span, finding out there's a ferry from the Atlantic Highlands to Shea was a blessing.

Well worth the money not to have to deal with the traffic on the Belt Parkway & Van Wick Expressway. I get to see the Statue of Liberty, the Jersey City & NYC skylines and a few lighthouses on the way to the stadium. The ferry docks right by Shea. On the way home you get to see the NYC & Jersey City skylines at night.

All I need is a better camera.

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 04/15/08 05:26 PM

Sounds like the way to go for you Stan! Of course I was just foolin' with you! smile I've only been to Shea once but a couple times also to the U.S. Open next door. I took a bus to the ball game from up this way and drove to the Open with friends from L.I. Not being familar with the area I didn't realize there was water nearby. Is the new stadium going to be in the same vicinity?
Posted By: rscroope

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 04/15/08 06:27 PM

Right behind the current stadium in the current parking lot.
Loon probably saw Stepping Stones & Execution Rock in the distance by the Throgs Neck Bridge.

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 04/15/08 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mombo:
Sounds like the way to go for you Stan! Of course I was just foolin' with you! smile I've only been to Shea once but a couple times also to the U.S. Open next door. I took a bus to the ball game from up this way and drove to the Open with friends from L.I. Not being familar with the area I didn't realize there was water nearby. Is the new stadium going to be in the same vicinity?
Sue, I knew you kidding. Nothing but land from your part of NY. I have some photos of the new stadium being built next to Shea.

I'll post them in a non-lighthouse forum as soon as I can. I think we've gotten off topic here.

Hope to order my Wacko badge by the end of this week.

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 04/15/08 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rscroope:
Right behind the current stadium in the current parking lot.
Loon probably saw Stepping Stones & Execution Rock in the distance by the Throgs Neck Bridge.
Bob, I didn't know they were that close. I'll look for them next time. Thanks!!!

Re: 2008 Wacko Badge selection - 04/16/08 02:21 AM

© 2024 Collector Forums