LighthouseKeepers.com

Slides from 1951

Posted By: grandmaR

Slides from 1951 - 03/08/10 07:53 AM

Not sure what topic this goes under, but I have been getting my dad's slides digitized. It isn't a trip so I can't put these there..

This one is at Woods Hole at the MBL docks. I see that there is an ATON in this photo

This one was taken at Nobska Beach. I'm the one in the red bathing cap and my mom is half hidden next to me- we are with our landlord and landlady and her niece who is in the blue cap. Note: We all wore bathing caps in those days and they were supposed to keep our hair dry.

This was the "in" thing to do in those days. We each sat in an inner tube, and lined up head to foot, and then we'd have a little train and would paddle out to where the waves were and ride the swells
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Slides from 1951 - 03/08/10 09:59 AM

Rosalie, these are cool pictures, especially the one where you are all on inner tubes. It looks like great fun and I'm sure great memories for you. Having the lighthouse in the background makes it extra special. cool
Posted By: wvlights0

Re: Slides from 1951 - 03/08/10 03:50 PM

Bathing caps ...my kids would have no idea what they were. Why did we wear them? They didn't really keep your hair dry. biglaugh
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Slides from 1951 - 03/08/10 04:55 PM

Great pics Rosalie! I love the bathing caps !!!

Re: Slides from 1951 - 03/10/10 04:14 AM

My mother never cut her hair so it was quite long and so quite a job to wash the salt out. At the time I thought bathing caps were a pain (tight and pulled your hair), but she insisted that we had to wear them so we did.
Posted By: mombo

Re: Slides from 1951 - 03/13/10 03:37 AM

That picture is so great Rosalie! Bathing caps and inner tubes, yikes that's a long time ago. Your bathing suit didn't happen to be wool was it?

Re: Slides from 1951 - 04/01/10 03:39 AM

I think some of them were, but I'm not sure about that one.
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Slides from 1951 - 04/01/10 04:18 AM

Great pics & memories!

Digitals are very clean & sharp

Re: Slides from 1951 - 04/13/10 07:37 AM

I don't know if I posted this one before

Posted By: wvlights0

Re: Slides from 1951 - 04/13/10 03:06 PM

Is the last picture at Nobska also? What a place to watch a storm from.

Re: Slides from 1951 - 04/14/10 11:37 PM

NO that one is Martha's Vineyard - Place used to be called Gay Head, but apparently that name is not PC anymore.
Posted By: mombo

Re: Slides from 1951 - 04/20/10 05:54 AM

Rosalie, is this last picture from the same time period also? And is that supposed to be the lighthouse in your photo? (The keeper's house wasn't torn down until after the lighthouse was automated in 1956.)

Where is the lighthouse in this 2006 photo that's almost identical to yours? (Scroll down.)

http://www.mvtimes.com/news/2006/08/10/gay_head_cliffs.php

Here it looks to be farther to the right.
http://www.dukescounty.org/Pages/DukesCountyMA_WebDocmnts/HomePageSlides/Simonbest/GayHeadLight.jpg

I don't believe Gay Head was moved, so is Rosalie's photo really of the lighthouse or something else???? Or is the angle of the last picture just different enough to move the light?
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Slides from 1951 - 04/20/10 12:31 PM

I've been boating in that area since 1968. The Lighthouse has not been moved during that period, that I know of. I also have some old photos of the cliffs and the Lighthouse in that area. If I run across them, I'll add them to this thread.

Note: That beach down below is a nude beach. Visitors would rub the clay on their skin as some sort of mudpack treatment. They were either red or white, kind of a "zombie" look. I use to see them while I was fishing the area.

smile Bob
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Slides from 1951 - 04/20/10 09:23 PM

Did you fish there very often, Bob?
© 2024 Collector Forums