LighthouseKeepers.com

Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Posted By: windup

Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/18/06 04:04 AM

I fell in love with the Maine coast and this lighthouse. What a beautiful park!! I read that George Washington installed the the first keeper to this light. Can anyone confirm that? I don't remeber where I saw that and haven't been able to find it again.

Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/18/06 04:24 AM

Marty - is that a photo you took?

We're having problems pulling it from the website where it is stored. It could be that the website has software installed that probits linking to the photos directly.

If it's not your photo, it would not be appropriate to display the image on another website such as Collector Forums.

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/20/06 03:48 AM

You were correct. I had to include this forum in the hotlink protection exclusions. It should work now.

No problem, Yes, I took the photo.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/20/06 04:05 AM

Great picture of a great light. Kind of looks like a painting. Like the sailboat in the notch between the shore and the rock.
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/20/06 04:11 AM

Very nice picture, Marty. As to your question about George Washington and Portland Head. He did indeed appoint the first keeper. His name was Joseph Greenleaf. During the era prior to his presidency, Washington became aware of the nation's need for lighthouses, so he was very instrumental in the construction of many of our lighthouses. Recently, many of the members of the CFs traveled to Virginia and, among the many lights we saw, was Old Cape Henry which was built during Washington's presidency.
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/20/06 04:28 AM

I agree with Dave-It does remind you of a painting. Great photo Marty-thanks for sharing with us!
Posted By: mombo

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/20/06 05:43 AM

Lovely photo Marty. Here's the history of Portland Head:

http://lighthouse.cc/portlandhead/history.html
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/20/06 07:24 AM

Great link, Sue! Thanks for posting it.
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/20/06 05:59 PM

Perfect photo!
Judy

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/27/06 03:20 AM

Thank you for all the kind comments and thanks Grace for related those cool facts.

Mombo, that was a great link. I never knew that about the 18c stamp!!! The sailboat was coming by right at a good time but, the photo in the link you gave with the USS Constitution in the photo, that would have been a scene! smile

I did a 20"x30" print of this and it's going up in the living room.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 07/28/06 01:54 AM

Very nice picture. I too like the link with the U.S.S. Constitution. I read a book about that ship when I was in elementary school, it was an amazing ship, I am very glad it got saved.

Re: Portland Head Light. Cape Elizabeth, Maine - 08/05/06 05:47 AM

Eric,

If your up to the trip along with some crabcakes, The USS Constitution is in Baltimore harbor.
© 2024 Collector Forums