LighthouseKeepers.com

Southeast Light, Block Island, 7/06/07

Posted By: Bob M

Southeast Light, Block Island, 7/06/07 - 07/08/07 01:20 AM

Lorna and I just returned from a week at Block Island. We will be headed back next Saturday for another week. I borrowed a friend's car and drove up to the Southeast Light yesterday morning. It was a little foggy but I took a few pictures to show the current stage of restoration on the exterior. I will post more close-up photos tomorrow. I thought I would put a few on tonight.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Southeast Light, Block Island, 7/06/07 - 07/08/07 01:41 AM

Nice pics Bob!

Looking forward to some more. cool
Posted By: Cyndi

Re: Southeast Light, Block Island, 7/06/07 - 07/08/07 01:35 PM

Great pictures Bob. Looking forward to seeing more.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Southeast Light, Block Island, 7/06/07 - 07/08/07 02:16 PM

More restoration pictures:

The trim and woodwork at the rear entrance has been replaced and looks great. All the wood around the windows has also been restored.

It appears that the exterior of the lantern room is going to get a new paint job in the near future.

The entrance at the west side of the tower has also been restored. It looks great!

The main public entrance has also been restored and is handicapped accessible. The people doing the work know what they're doing, and their work shows it.

There are new doors on what I believe was a former oil shed. It looks more like a garage because of its size and the double doors. Note the rustic looking wooden bolt for the doors in the second picture.

I'm pleased to say things are looking great at Southeast Light. A tip of the Captain's cap for those who are responsible.

To answer your questions before you ask, I didn't go inside the light. I was there at 0730 hours and the light is open from 10:00-16:00 hours daily during the season.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: wheland

Re: Southeast Light, Block Island, 7/06/07 - 07/08/07 04:09 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the update on the work there. I'll have to try and get back up there- probably won't be until 2008, though.

We enjoyed our one visit to Block Island- even if we got the kind of weather we were told never happens on Block Island- 95 degree, high humidity and litte sea breeze. I usually don't believe those stories anyway.

Dennis
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Southeast Light, Block Island, 7/06/07 - 07/09/07 03:46 PM

Great pictures, Bob! Definitely alot of hard work going on there..well done!
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more!
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Southeast Light, Block Island, 7/06/07 - 07/09/07 04:23 PM

Bob, Great closeup pics! Looks like there doing a ton of renovations.
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Southeast Light, Block Island, 7/06/07 - 07/09/07 10:21 PM

Bob,
Thanks for the great pictures. SE Block is one of my favorite lights. I hope to visit it in the next couple of years.
© 2024 Collector Forums