LighthouseKeepers.com

Holland from the elitist side

Posted By: Mike Hershberger

Holland from the elitist side - 07/19/03 09:53 AM

This past sunday evening I set out, in the company of our intrepid moderator, to photograph big red at Holland from the south side. We lucked out and on our arrival we found the security guard in his shed and we were able to get into the realm of the rich folk. We got a dirty look or two, but for the most part we weren't hassled by the wealthy residents who seem to believe that big red is their own personal lighthouse.

For our efforts, Gary and I were treated to a beautiful sunset and a perfect evening. I shot two rolls, one provia 100, and one velvia 50. This shot was from the velvia roll. I don't know the specs on this shot, but by this time the light was getting pretty low.

I got quite a few shots that I really like, I'll post more periodically, but I really liked this one for the rays coming from the sunset. I hope you all like it too.

Posted By: AZlightkeeper

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/19/03 03:42 PM

Another great one, Mike!
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/19/03 07:16 PM

Fantastic picture MIke! Looking forwrd to your others.

Bert smile
Posted By: Gary Martin

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/19/03 08:31 PM

Here's on of my shots off of a roll ovf Provia 100F shot the same evening with Mike, this one shot somewhat earlier than the image he posted.

Gary
Posted By: ga light man

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/20/03 02:11 AM

That is such a great shot.
Amazing!
Rick
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/20/03 05:44 AM

I love the bright yellows and oranges in your photo Gary. cool It looks like you're already back shooting lights in MI after being in England.

I took a cruise out of Dover but didn't take the time to tour around the city. I thought the channel hovercraft was quite interesting to watch.

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/20/03 06:46 AM

The hovercraft, Lorie, is a think of the past. Now they use giant high speed catamarans... big enough to drive cars onto!

Gary
Posted By: buster

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/21/03 01:59 AM

Mike/Gary--Great shots smile

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/21/03 03:27 AM

Mike and I photographed until nearly 11 PM. I don't know what he got from his long exposure shots, but here's one of mine shot on Provia 100F that evening at probably about 10:45 or so. The exposure was probably about 1 min and probably about f/8. I need to download the shooting data so I'm giving a best guess for the moment.

Gary
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/21/03 02:21 PM

Another great photographic lighthousing adventure!

Beautiful as always!

Judy smile
Posted By: buster

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/21/03 03:56 PM

Another great one smile

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/21/03 06:29 PM

Well, the last 5-6 of my later night shots didn't turn out as well as Gary's, I'm not sure why. No blazing reflections for me. But that's for another time.....

These shots were taken earlier in the evening, the first with the setting sun behind the lantern room, and the second just a couple minutes after it set. I bumped up the saturation on the second one, but that is what we saw on the beach, no manipulation was involved. Enjoy them.

Posted By: Mac

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/22/03 01:13 AM

Mike/Gary

Beautiful pictures! ! !

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/22/03 02:25 AM

Thanks, Judy and Mac.

Mike, sorry the last of ur pics didn't turn out. About what were your exposure settings? I wonder if the metering in your N90 is off?

Of the two you just posted, I like the last one best. Great color. I think I might be inclined to crop some from the bottom of the oter to move the horizon lower in the image and to reduce the negative space in the image. Just a thought....

Gary

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/22/03 03:35 AM

I think you're right about the crop on the top one, it would bring the picture out more. One of the things I'm trying to overcome in my photography is that I tend to compose and crop too wide, I need to keep my photos tighter and simpler. In most cases.

I didn't record my settings for those late shots, but I know I was in the 2-4 minute range. I used the technique you said of using manual mode and using the meter to get a balanced exposure, then doubling the exposure for every stop.

One thing that might have done it was the lights in the windows and the main beacon, maybe they threw my meter off and caused the underexposure. Remember my N90 doesn't have as good a meter as your F5s.

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/22/03 03:43 AM

Mike, were you taking a matrix meter reading? My exposures were in the range of 2-4 min at f/22 for the late ones before I shot a few shorter ones with the lens opened up some.

Gary

Re: Holland from the elitist side - 07/22/03 05:41 AM

Yes Gary, I was matrix metering once we set up down by the water line. At one point I asked you if that was where I should be, and it was.
© 2024 Collector Forums