LighthouseKeepers.com

chesapeake light tower

Posted By: Chesapeake Bryan

chesapeake light tower - 06/28/04 03:29 AM

Got the chance to see the not too often seen chesapeake light tower as part of a chessy chapter trip this weekend.

More pics to come tomorrow.....
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: chesapeake light tower - 06/28/04 04:17 AM

Cool structure. Looks like an oil rig!
Posted By: Dave H

Re: chesapeake light tower - 06/28/04 04:31 AM

Jen,
I do believe the Texas Towers are modified oil rig type platforms.

Bryan, Looks like you had a pretty day for the outing. Look forward to more pictures.
Posted By: bonnebert

Re: chesapeake light tower - 06/29/04 02:31 PM

There were rumors that this structure was going to be taken down. A recent Coast Guard study revealed that it's necessary for the safe transit of shipping in the are and recommended that this light be maintained. A comprehensive engineering analysis conducted by a marine architectural and engineering firm last year found the Chesapeake Light to be structurally sound for at least another five years, and another inspection will be completed. When the light become structually unsound, it will be replaced with a smaller structure, since they won't need living quarters. NASA and NOAA sensors for Army and Navy special operations training are also located on this tower.

Thanks Bryan for the pictures. I was so busy with the coordination of the trip, I didn't get a chance for photos. This was my second trip, so I have pics from 2000. And, it looks like another trip can be done in a few years for those that missed this one.

Joyce
© 2024 Collector Forums