LighthouseKeepers.com

Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?!

Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 06:19 AM

I decided to drag my hiney out in the 20 degree air and below zero west wind chill up to Little Sable this afternoon while my other half was watching the Daytona 500 (perfect excuse to get him to babysit!). I have wanted to get up there for some snow shots the past three years and it just never happened, until today. Was it worth the trip? ABSOLUTELY! I spent one hour traversing through 8 inches of snow encrusted with ice on the dunes - it was actually easier than walking on the sand itself! Here is one of my favorite shots from this afternoon. I think some angels had fun painting the sky with clouds...and didn't even notice the frozen pond in front of the lighthouse until I got to standing right there and shouted, "WOO-HOO!!!" laugh

Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 06:31 AM

Jen, that is absolutely breathtaking! I got to climb all over those sand dunes in late August - what a difference. Your shot is too beautiful for words!

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 07:23 AM

Thanks, Grace! Congrats on Super Wacko status! smile

Here are a few more from my journey today.

Looking north along Lake Michigan, you can see the wind has the same effect along the dunes on snow that it does on sand.

A large piece of driftwood, probably washed on shore during one of the fall gales we had in November.

Snowball fight, anyone? It might hurt a bit! laugh Seriously, those are balls of solid ice and they are cemented down hard!

A couple larger blocks of ice along the shoreline. I wasn't brave enough to walk out any further - it was frozen over a couple hundred feet out, but I didn't know how solid it was nor did I have my cleats on!

Dune grass, blowing in the west wind. Looking south along the Lake Michigan shore here.

Long shadows of the dune grass give hints to the sun low in the sky.

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 07:24 AM

This last one I decided to use the tower to block the sun. Definitely a different perspective!

Today, with the wind and the shoreline starting to freeze (although it's so late in the season!) was a composition lover's dream. I shot over 100 pictures in the hour I was there and wanted to share some of my highlights of Little Sable Lighthouse. Enjoy from the warmth of your keyboard! cool
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 07:46 AM

Jen, those are absolutely magnificent. What gorgeous weather you had, too. I'm glad you gave some of the details of your excursion; I had wondered how far you were able to walk out on the ice. I have thoroughly enjoyed all your wonderful, winter pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 03:45 PM

Absolutely breathtaking, Jen! Every single shot.

Sure would love to do some lighthousing up your way. I would beg to tag along with you. I'd carry your equipment, anything! laugh
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 04:37 PM

A very rewarding trip to Little Sable.

You have such a great 'eye' for composition!

All the ones you've posted are just fabulous. Hope these lead to income from sales on your website. Keep up the GREAT WORK!
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 05:38 PM

I feel the cold in your images.. Great job and having been there several times in the summer/sand, I understand completely about how it could be easier to walk on the ice and snow..
Posted By: fra02441

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 06:17 PM

Oh do I wish I was there. Great shots. smile
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 06:23 PM

Incredible! It's kind of like someone took the White Sands in New Mexico and put them on Lake Michigan. It's an eerie, otherworldly look.

Normally, when I look at groups of photos like this, there's one or so images that, while incredible, don't "catch" me as much as the rest. This batch of images is the first one in a while that every single image really interested me. laugh
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/20/06 07:57 PM

WOW - amazing pictures of an amazing place!
Thanks for showing them Jen
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Who says you can't shoot reflection shots in winter?! - 02/21/06 05:29 PM

Just beautiful Jen. smile

They make me cold looking at them so I'm sure glad I can preview them with my heater at my feet.
© 2024 Collector Forums