LighthouseKeepers.com

Duluth

Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Duluth - 10/11/04 04:17 AM

Hello again,

On my way back from Split Rock on September 27, I stopped in Duluth briefly before heading for home around sunset. I just missed a freighter leaving. It was a beautiful day...sunny and 70. There were lots of people in Canal Park. I had several chances to photograph lighthouses with sail boats passing by.

The light in this photo is Duluth Harbor North Pier Light. The Federal Saguenay is anchored.

On October 1, we spent the night in Duluth before heading to Tofte. Just after the sunset, I got to see my first freighter going down the canal. It was all lit up. (I didn't take any photos. Thanks for the tip about the schedule, Lorie.) The temperature was in the 40's, and the wind was blowing. It was quite a change from the previous weekend. There were still lots of people in the park.

Here are a few photos of the 3 lights in Duluth on Friday night.

The Duluth South Inner light is to the left of the lift bridge.

Before we left Duluth on Saturday, we checked the schedule and saw that a freighter would be arriving and one departing within an hour. So, we stuck around for a while. The lighting wasn't great, but it was fun to see watch the ships. (Based on the angle of the sun, it probably would have been better to go to the other side.)

One arriving

One departing

Though the colors on the North Shore are past peak in many areas, we were going to head up north again this weekend. But then someone gave me Twins' tickets to Saturday's game. We lost. frown Darn. Anyway, I'll probably wait for the snow before I head up north again.

Tammy
Posted By: beachbum1616

Re: Duluth - 10/11/04 04:31 AM

I really like the green reflection on the water! The starburst adds an interesting look to the photo as well.

And those poor lighthouses look so small in comparison to the freighters.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Duluth - 10/11/04 04:48 AM

Another nice colletion of photos, Tammy. I like the lift bridge image.

I'd also say you were on the RIGHT side of the photos for the boats arriving and departing sine that lighting adds dimension to the ships and lighthouses.

Great job! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Duluth - 10/11/04 06:32 AM

I've been watching for your pictures to post Tammy. They look so nice with the light reflecting off the water. I was dumb...I stayed the night in Duluth before I flew home and didn't even think about night shots. frown I was more excited about getting the freighter in the picture that I left for the hotel before dark.
Posted By: Elmer

Re: Duluth - 10/12/04 12:37 AM

Tammy,

Love the night time shots ..... BEAUTIFUL!!
smile
Dan
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: Duluth - 10/12/04 04:33 AM

Lovely shots once again! I must ask, what are the specs on the night shots?

Re: Duluth - 10/13/04 03:44 AM

Jen,

Here are the specs from the first photo (Duluth South Breakwater Outer).

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 2
Av( Aperture Value ) 6.3
ISO Speed 100

I don't know if I have the specs for the others. I didn't save the raw images because they weren't spectacular photos, and they aren't on the memory card that's in my computer. (Jen, I forgot one of my 1 GB cards at home and ended up having to switch from RAW to jpeg in the middle of my flight.)

I've only tried night photography a few times with my digital camera....

Tammy
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: Duluth - 10/13/04 05:05 AM

I hate it when I forget my cards!

On your next attempt at nightime stuff, try shooting in aperture mode, and get the F-stop down to 11 or 16, and bump the exposure to 20-30 seconds. By closing down your lens to 11 or 16 you will get a more distinctive, natural star effect on the lens/lights and also keep everything in focus. Keeping the longer time exposure also gives you better color saturation, expecially if shooting in RAW. smile

Re: Duluth - 10/13/04 06:27 AM

Hi Jen,

We just went to watch a freighter that was supposed to be leaving, and I wasn't planning take any night shots. It was very cold and windy, and I wasn't dressed properly. I think I tried a 30 second shot @ F11 of the Duluth Harbor North light, and it didn't turn out. It was either blurry or overexposed. I've closed my lens to F16 when shooting with slide film. I also tried 2 and 4 minute exposures after reading some of Gary's posts a 1 1/2 years ago. It seemed too windy for long exposures. But I'll certainly try your tips the next opportunity. I appreciate your help! I've definitely been shooting more RAW images since I talked to you in UP.

Tammy
© 2024 Collector Forums