LighthouseKeepers.com

Tybee Island yard lighthouse

Posted By: 5lights

Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/17/06 03:27 PM

Here is the lighthouse that my husband and I built together-shortly after we started lighthousing. No formal plans. We picked Tybee because HE thought it would be easier... The roof originally was painted orange, but the sun kept fading it,I got tired of mixing the paint to re-do it! Both the lantern room and the little "house" light up.
Posted By: beachbum1616

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/17/06 03:43 PM

Cool! Looks pretty realistic!
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/17/06 03:51 PM

Debbie, your house is painted the same colors and trim as mine. That lighthouse would look mighty nice in my yard too, so if you ever need to move it... smile

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/17/06 05:47 PM

I'll keep that in mind!
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/18/06 12:24 PM

Nice lighthouse. Do remember how long it took to build and how much it cost in materials?
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/18/06 01:45 PM

Nice Lighthouse.
When I retire I Plan on building some lighthouse also.

What scale is it?

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/18/06 02:53 PM

Sorry...don't really know. Like I said we had no plans. My husband is very talented when it comes to building things. He just asked how big do you want it and we went from there. It stands about 5'9" tall. I have to stand on the retaining wall to change the bulb!! smile
Posted By: grandmaR

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/18/06 03:04 PM

That's neat. I'd really like to try something like that.

I've tried twice to see the Tybee Island lighthouse, and each time it was too foggy

This is the view from Fort Pulaski after we listened to the ranger talk. The arrow pointing to Tybee is on the right.

When we went in to Fort Pulaski, it was warm and sunny, and we could see the lighthouse from the fort.

But when we came out it was cold and foggy. So we didn't go. The second time we were going to go, it was rainy and miserable

so we just kept going.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/18/06 04:03 PM

Debbie, maybe you and your husband could build Judy one, giving her an excuse to come to the Great Lakes. I can see it now, Judy cruising the hiway on her way home with a 5"9" lighthouse tied to the roof of her Jeep. Guess it wouldn't be that different from some of the Christmas Trees I have seen tied to the top of people's cars.....
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/18/06 04:10 PM

I can see that! Yeah, I can! laugh

Dave, I guess we just add that to my growing list of excuses to visit the Great Lakes.

Judy

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/19/06 09:02 PM

Eric, It took us a weekend to build and if I remember correctly materials were right around a hundred dollars.

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/19/06 09:53 PM

Only a weekend, you guys must be good at building and painting.

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/21/06 12:04 AM

We work pretty well together for the most part. My husband is pretty talented when it comes to building things. He has this knack for visualizing in his head and then makes it happen! smile

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/21/06 12:14 AM

I get this image in my head with alighthouse strapped to the top of a jeep and well- If it gets foggy you could always plug it into your cigarette lighter and then blow your horn to find your way!! Please move the Great Lakes up on your list...they are well worth a trip!

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/21/06 01:56 AM

That's too funny Debbie! laugh
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/21/06 04:38 AM

You ain't seen anything until you've been to the Great Lakes!! We had such a fabulous time on our visits to the lights on Lake Michigan and on Lake Huron last year. I wish I'd made it to the WILD trip this year - I'm sure it was wonderful. smile

Re: Tybee Island yard lighthouse - 08/21/06 03:33 PM

Eric...I have my moments!!! laugh
© 2024 Collector Forums