LighthouseKeepers.com

Cape Elizabeth up close and personal Pt. 1

Posted By: regalhobo

Cape Elizabeth up close and personal Pt. 1 - 09/04/06 12:32 AM

Its not to often that someone gets to climb Cape Elizabeth, but this year at NELL's annual Lighthouses Hot Chocolate and You (held in Jan)we were fortunate enough to be able to do just that. Afer looking at Robert's pictures it reminded me that I didn't post these yet and thought that it might be a good time as he has the light posted on another thread. The light is privately owned and the owners are very particular as to keeping people off their property. NELL, with the help of ALF and Bob Trapani was able to get permission to view the light with our groups restricted to small numbers.So without further ado, here are some pictures of Cape Elizabeth, eastern tower, up close and personal...inside and out.

The shadow is from the keepers house.

If you look at the dome of this stately beacon you will notice that it is in dire need of some new paint.

Entering the light you will step onto a tile floor.

After you enter and look back you will see these beautiful double inner doors protected by a security door behind them.

As we started our climb I was quite surprised at the roominess of the tower. Following are some pictures of the view out the windows as we climbed. The house in the forefront is the keepers house.[private]

If you look towards the top and to the right of the middle frame you can make out the top of the western tower.

Views from the lantern room. Thats Ron F "inspecting " the base of the light. Thats the other tower just to Ron's left out the window.

Posted By: HCS

Re: Cape Elizabeth up close and personal Pt. 1 - 09/04/06 05:11 AM

Very nice Tom.
Love the photo of the doors, they are beautiful.
Brings back memories of another great NELL adventure!
HCS
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Cape Elizabeth up close and personal Pt. 1 - 09/04/06 06:07 AM

Great shots, Tom. I'm glad you finally were able to post them. I agree with Hilari that the doors are really beautiful. Can't wait to get to Maine in October! smile
Posted By: RFoster

Re: Cape Elizabeth up close and personal Pt. 1 - 09/04/06 04:33 PM

These bring back fond memories Tom. Thanks for posting.

Ron
Posted By: rgurskey

Re: Cape Elizabeth up close and personal Pt. 1 - 09/06/06 12:11 AM

Good ones, Tom.
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Cape Elizabeth up close and personal Pt. 1 - 09/06/06 03:26 PM

Great photos Tom! Enjoyed them very much!!
Posted By: kikigl

Re: Cape Elizabeth up close and personal Pt. 1 - 09/06/06 05:48 PM

Love that lighthouse. One of the first ones I saw. I have never had a chance to climb it and I would really love to.
© 2024 Collector Forums