LighthouseKeepers.com

Wind Point, Wisconsin

Posted By: Jake

Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/03/07 06:35 AM

Here are a few photos from this past weekend when we went up to Wisconsin to see my apartment that I'll be moving into when school starts. We happened to see something about Wind Point's tower being open for climbing, so we decided to go. They open it the first Sunday of every month through October. We were told that October is an especially great time to come because of the fall colors.

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1385/700774797_b8b13c96f0.jpg?v=0[/img]

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1128/700777269_33bfc8ef80.jpg?v=0[/img]

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1198/700789783_0584b19859.jpg?v=0[/img]

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/700792837_1d955789c4.jpg?v=0[/img]

The above one is actually looking toward Milwaukee, which you could see poking above the trees on the farthest sliver of land.

With all of the people and stuff set up for the open house, it was difficult getting photos without something in the way. But I'm sure I'll be there my fair share once I move up there. smile

If you want to see the rest of the photos, here is the link to the rest of the set:
Wisconsin Lighthouses
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/03/07 02:52 PM

Great photos, Jakers! I love the first one with the contrast of colors against an awesome color sky. Thanks for sharing and look forward to more.
Welcome to Wisconsin! smile
Posted By: Cyndi

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/04/07 02:05 PM

Nice photos, Jakers. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/04/07 02:33 PM

Great pics Jakers !!!

I love the Milwaukee Breakwater Light pic on link you provided.
Posted By: buoyhunter_190

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/04/07 11:42 PM

Jake,
Great photos. We too were at the lighthouse climb. How did you get the picture of the latern of wind point that is in your link?

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/05/07 06:23 AM

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Buoyhunter- I went up the ladder to the rung that had the sign on it. That was as high as they would let you go, but it was enough to poke your head in and get a glimpse. What time were you there?

By the way, I realized that I accidentally linked to the wrong album above. This should be the correct link: The REAL Wisconsin Lighthouses
Posted By: fra02441

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/06/07 11:31 PM

Funny I was in Racine on Saturday afternoon looking out to wind point didnt have time to go over there. Those are great pictures. I was able to go to Kenosha and Racine and then to the airport on Sunday.

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/07/07 12:04 AM

Jake, We were there on Sunday around 12:00-1:30. I didn't see the ladder but my wife did. We have reservations for October so now we will have to go and see it.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/09/07 07:08 PM

Great photos, Jakers. The colors are fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/09/07 10:24 PM

Jakers,
Thanks for the great pictures. I love the view of the lake from the tower where you can see the water color change with the depth change.

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/12/07 04:24 PM

Thank you for the compliments everyone! The group that runs the Wind Point climb definitely makes the experience worth the $10 admission.

Buoyhunter-
We must have been there at the same time! We were in the 1:00 group to the top.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/12/07 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake:

Buoyhunter-

This is why WACKO Badges were created! Do you have yours? Do you wear yours when you go lighthousing - in a group or solo?

Still time to order your 2007 WACKO Badge - Dave will pop in here with a link.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/12/07 10:42 PM

Normally would not do this in a non-related thread, but here is the link to the page about Wacko badges . Please make any comments in that thread.

On the subject of Stephen's Wind Point pictures, it is nice to see a lighthouse get opened for climbing once in a while, especially one which is not normally open. I really like the wispy clouds, and it is interesting to see the color change as the lake deepens.

Re: Wind Point, Wisconsin - 07/14/07 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Webmaster:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jake:

Buoyhunter-

[b]This is why WACKO Badges were created! Do you have yours? Do you wear yours when you go lighthousing - in a group or solo?

Still time to order your 2007 WACKO Badge - Dave will pop in here with a link. [/b]
I did not. I didn't even know about them until now.
© 2024 Collector Forums