LighthouseKeepers.com

Quick Trip To Oregon... Part 2

Posted By: Webmaster

Quick Trip To Oregon... Part 2 - 10/09/03 07:04 AM

I had hoped to get as far south as the Battery Point light in Crescent City on Monday, but I decided instead to head back up the coast to see if I could locate the Cleft of the Rock private lighthouse. This brought me past Heceta Head and I again stopped for more photos from the turnout.

I ran in and out of fog and did get as far as Cape Perpetua where Cleft of the Rock is located, but could not find the right turnout from which it is supposedly visible.

I did stop at a number of gift shops and left behind samples and information about the Lighthouse Stickers project so that slowed my progress along the coast.

By about 2 pm, I was at Umpqua River Lighthouse where I took the tour and finally met Pat, from whom I had been purchasing Harbour Lights for many years.

The beauty of the big first order Fresnel lens is beyond belief!

The inside walls of the tower were sand-blasted a number of years ago because the paint was holding moisture in the walls which was deteriorating the morter, causing it to turn to sand. The stairs hang from the landings and do not touch the inside walls at all.
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: Quick Trip To Oregon... Part 2 - 10/09/03 07:17 AM

Too bad that all the 1st order lens are outside Michigan. We only have four second order lens and the rest are smaller...

I saw my first (1st) order lens on my first visit to Pt. Reyes in October 1998. I was blown away. To think that massive beauty is over 6,000 pounds of glass! And all the cleaning to be done!! smile
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Quick Trip To Oregon... Part 2 - 10/10/03 06:13 AM

John, the lens in Umpqua is my favorite lens. I have toured around 100 lighthouses and have never been taken aback as I was when I saw the red and while gem that sits in this lighhouse.
Posted By: Mike Hershberger

Re: Quick Trip To Oregon... Part 2 - 10/14/03 05:06 AM

That picture of the lens is amazing!!!!! I love the color you were able to get.
© 2024 Collector Forums